Thread: Firewall help!!

Lightbulb Firewall help!!

Would it be a good idea to have [pong]Zonealarm Pro 3.0,[/pong] [pong]Norton Personal Firewall 2002, [/pong] [pong]McAfee Firewall 3.0[/pong] [gloworange]all on the same computer?[/gloworange] I figure the more security the better! [glowpurple]And will it make my computer run slower?[/glowpurple]

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    nortons and mcafee are good zonealarm hey tell me it is very exploited....tiny firewall is great
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Well the short answer, if the question is, 'should I install a Firewall', is yes. Which one is kinda up to you. Pick one your comfortable with, one that suits your needs and your budget. I am using ZoneAlarm, but I am not married to it, just haven't had time to install and test any others.

Cheers:
    DjM

GreekGoddess
    I like Zonealarm...I use it with the personal firewall that came with Norton AntiVirus...the combination works great.

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    tiny firewall all the way i heard that there is a program like weirded sub7 that any idiot can use ot exploit Zonealarm
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" — G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

neowatch Firewall in combination with anything else is great. because neowatch lets you trace the ip automatically, with its built in neotrace express, which also gives you stats about the nodes, route taken and the networks etcetra.
    not sub7 but Y3K has little trouble with getting past "firewall" protection and AV protection of:
    Atguard
    BlackIce Defender
    The Cleaner
    Conseal PC
    Lockdown
    McAfee
    Sphinx
    WinRoute
    ZoneAlarm
    TinyPersonal
    Norton Anti-Virus
    AVP
    Ophos
    Panda
    Ants
    AntiTrojan
    ...i haven't tested it with any of the above (naturally) and im not sure about specific version information, but thats just what it _claims_ to do.
    id recomend zonealarm, so you can give permissions to programs individually, whether they can access the net, or act as a server, plus zonealarm acts as a popup/add blocker, provides options for cookie privaliges and allows you to disable/"turn down" mobile code (java vb scripts etc) and i think it has some kind of email protection aswell, although i have no clue as to how good it is. if you are concerned about sub7 penetrations it, (use z.a. in coordination with neowatch) just execute a netstat command (start>>>run>>command>"netstat -n"OR"netstat -a"OR "netstat -n") every now and again, and note any strange ports opened, or even connected to anything.
    or you could use Xnetvision. personally i don't, but its a graphical version of the netstat command, and it gives you the option to terminate connections. i have a copy of it uploaded to my "site", in the download>>sys section i think, so if you want you can go here

why not use a proxy server?

hmmm, as a "p.s." : would neone have links to tutorials about use of sockets in c++? just basics ^V more advanced stuff also?

as a "p.p.s" : if you end up messing with the wrong person/people, i have this feeling that no firewall on earth, software ^ hardware, will be good enuf, and you should probably just wreck your own box, so "they" don't have the chance to...
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

Re: Firewall help!!

Originally posted here by blunt23
    And will it make my computer run slower?[/glowpurple]
    It depends how much RAM you have in your machine.

Also IMO, one firewall is enough, you should just manage it well and not running files which you are not sure about them.