Thread: cached passwords and ras

cached passwords and ras

what exactly is a "cached" password on a system? what exactly is stored here?? i read the term somewhere and i am curious. also could someone please also go over ras passwords, thanks that is a tremedous help to me!

In computer memory technology, RAS (row address strobe) is a signal sent to a dynamic random access memory (DRAM) that tells it that an associated address is a row address. A data bit in DRAM is stored in a cell located by the intersection of a column address and a row address. A column address strobe (CAS) signal is used to validate the column address.

cached passwords are stored in registry. like dial-up passwords

str34m3r
    Um... someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think drew was asking about RAS servers as in the computers that allow users to dial into a network. Now I don't know much about setting up a RAS server or password schemes specific to RAS, but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with a row address strobe. Good use of google though Unleashed.

Ah the 60's the light shows concerts the strobes...oops sorry in old terms flash back time. RAS well it depends on the OS you are talking about. Remote access is that like a dial up or VPN connect. If you have the right to dialin via modem or VPN there are several ways passwords are handled and firewall employed on the system. In general terms I have VPN users before they hit any server the firewall asks for a password it may or may not match their network password. Current passwords arestored in each place encrypited. Again depending on the OS what the file is called and where it is at can depend on admin. Really should be more specific hard to answer vague questions with other the general veague terms...Did like the strobe thing Ha Ha Ha Stayin Alive..LOL...never mind
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

drew_1791, you really gotta give more information in your questions. like what it is you want to know.

cached passwords are saved on the computer at your request and show up as asterisks when you go to log-in (not a real good idea to use them though). your computer encrypts them and stores them in pwl files.

as far as RAS passwords go that depends on the type on authentication used for the login. im not going to go threw a long explaination on authentication methods just to find out all you want to do is crack them. no offense meant, but i don't know whqt you want.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

TechieChick
    Originally posted here by Unleashed
    In computer memory technology, RAS (row address strobe) is a signal sent to a dynamic random access memory (DRAM) that tells it that an associated address is a row address. A data bit in DRAM is stored in a cell located by the intersection of a column address and a row address. A column address strobe (CAS) signal is used to validate the column address.

cached passwords are stored in registry. like dial-up passwords
    Quoting the source would be a good idea.