Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: George Carlin on Religion

GreekGoddess

George Carlin on Religion

http://css.peak.org/newsletter/1997/aug97/carlin.html

"Religion convinced the world that there's an invisible man in the sky who watches everything you do. And there's 10 things he doesn't want you to do or else you'll to to a burning place with a lake of fire until the end of eternity. But he loves you! ...And he needs money! He's all powerful, but he can't handle money!"

"I credit that eight years of grammar school with nourishing me in a direction where I could trust myself and trust my instincts. They gave me the tools to reject my faith. They taught me to question and think for myself and to believe in my instincts to such an extent that I just said, This is a wonderful fairy tale they have going here, but it's not for me."

"If churches want to play the game of politics, let them pay admission like everyone else."

"This is a lttle prayer dedicated to the separation of church and state. I guess if they are going to force those kids to pray in schools they might as well have a nice prayer like this: Our Father who art in heaven, and to the republic for which it stands, thy kingdom come, one nation indivisible as in heaven, give us this day as we forgive those who so proudly we hail. Crown thy good into temptation but deliver us from the twilight's last gleaming. Amen and Awomen."

"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death."

"The only good thing ever to come out of religion was the music."

"I've begun worshipping the sun for a number of reasons. First of all, unlike some other gods I could mention, I can see the sun. It's there for me every day. And the things it brings me are quite apparent all the time: heat, light, food, a lovely day. There's no mystery, no one asks for money, I don't have to dress up, and there's no boring pageantry. And interestingly enough, I have found that the prayers I offer to the sun and the prayers I formerly offered to 'God' are all answered at about the same 50-percent rate."

"I would never want to be a member of a group whose symbol was a guy nailed to two pieces of wood".

hahaha.. I love that guy.. I'd die to be as witty as him.

Banned
    that is funny

I feel sorry for George Carlin. I hope one day he will have faith. I hope he will learn that there is a God who does love him, and who really doesn't want anything from him except a relationship.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Banned
    religion is a fraud. all it is is a crutch for the weak minded. but i wont get too into this discussion because this is one of those that doesnt end

Um I think, he has realized that there is a god that loves him preacher. . .the sun. . .like he said, it keeps him warm, lets him see, and gives him a pleasant afternoon to play in. . .that is a really good rant though, thanks Greek. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

"religion is a fraud. all it is is a crutch for the weak minded. but i wont get too into this discussion because this is one of those that doesnt end" (quote)

Yes, it does tend to turn into a never ending debate. But I don't think I am weakminded. I think for myself, and I have been taught to critically examine spiritual claims. I have a Bachelor's Degree and a Master's Degree. Also, I think everyone has a crutch. The difference is my crutch will never let me down. God is real.

"Um I think, he has realized that there is a god that loves him preacher. . .the sun. . .like he said, it keeps him warm, lets him see, and gives him a pleasant afternoon to play in. . .that is a really good rant though, thanks Greek. . ." (quote)

Can the sun love a person? I don't think so. It is part of creation. It is not the Creator. It is a thing. Things don't love. People love. God is a Person. And God loves.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

And that takes us back to the first part of yer post, preacher, this would be a never ending arguement, b/c you are stating your beliefs that other people won't necessarily agree with, I know I don't.

"Can the sun love a person? I don't think so." I think the sun has just as much chance of loving something as god does.

"It is part of creation. It is not the Creator." I would have to think that the sun is a large part of creation, atleast for life on this planet. BTW, no theory about evolution or creationism is fact, otherwise it would be a law, once again we come back to you stating that your beliefs are correct and others are wrong.

"It is a thing. Things don't love. People love. God is a Person. And God loves." Many things are wrong with this statement, the main one being that god is a person. . .if god were a person that would make him fallable, and imperfect, god can't be imperfect, or he wouldn't be god, ergo. . .god can not be a person. . .and if people are the only ones who can love, well then god can't love, since he's not person, can he?? Heh heh, sorry I don't mean to offend I'm just stating MY beliefs, just like you.

Who says God is not a Person? He is the only perfect person. Being a person does not make God fallible. We are persons and God is a Person. The only difference is that we sin, and God does not.

Okay, I know I should just quit but, . . .I say that if god is a person he is fallable!! If he is a person, in the common sense, then god would have to have a gender, that in itself would make him imperfect. . .