Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What av software do you use?

Question What av software do you use?

av software today is a must for almost anybody using the internet, with so many different av packages out there i just thought it would be interesting to know what av software people use and what they think about it.

i mysef use mcafee virus scan professional, its a good av scanner with many options. it has found plenty of virii on stuff i have downloaded and got rid of them. unfortunatley a few months back i got a really nasty virus that F***** up my whole computer. so i dont know whether i shud blame the av or my carelessnes in forgetting to scan files.

Etrust EZ Antivirus. I used to use McAfee but it constantly kept crasking my computers.
    Norton 2002 is not that bad, havent used it much though.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Norton all the way. Plus if you get one of their suites, you can get internet firewalls, antivirus software and other helpful utilities all in one package.

I use FreeBSD. The ultimate anti-virus.. hehehee

On my windblows boxes I use Trend-Micro and McAfee.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

Norton 2002 at home McAfee at work.
    \"SI JE PUIS\"

Banned
    I use a combination seeing that you cannot trust only one program to do its job, and then again you do not want to mix software from competitors (I.E. Symantec & McAfee). I use McAfee VirusScan Profession 6.0 w/ Firewall & Pandasoft. They make a great combination, no conflicts, and to my knowledge a 100% catch rate.

Used McAfee for years quite happily, until about a year or two ago they were very slow getting a virus signature out for a nasty worm that was going around at the time (I think I was using the 4.x engine version at time), so I switched to Norton Anti-Virus (who had a signature for it) and have never looked back. I haven't had any stability issues, it seems good at catching virii, trojans, etc, (too the point I have to turn it off when pulling out my toolkit) and (at least compared to the 4.x McAfee) the auto-update of signatures was a bonus...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Banned
    Khaki's I really, really, really have to disagree with anything Symantec packages together. Exspecially their NoUse Utilities oh, sorry... I mean Norton Utilities Package..

The Iceman Cometh
    For my Windows machines, I have a value volume license for Norton AV Corp. Edition, and it works great. All updates are automatically downloaded and distributed via one of my servers, and I have yet to catch any infection in any of my computers. I used to have McAfee on a few workstations, but it took too much of the systems' resources. I've had the same experience with Norton AV 2002, though... that's why I ended up getting the AV Corp. Not only was it less expensive, but it integrates into the MMC and takes far less resources than the other AV's I've tried.

AJ

I have used several anti-virus lately since Im evaluating what we shall use at work the next two years .

I will tell something about some AV's I have been evaluating but not everything, maybe I'll post my results when the evaluation are finished after the summer here on AO. Remember that these results are from corporate solutions and based on our computers and our setup's.. It may not reflect the real world .

• Total Virus Defence (McAfee):
    • Takes a lot's of system resources.
    • Not daily automatic defenition updates.

Norton:
    • Only positive sides in my test's.

Sophos:
    • No really good automatic definition update function (should be better in the last version, have not tried it yet).

Panda:
    • Found some serious issues. Have sent the case to Panda to see if it's related to our environment or a bug in the program.

If I would choose a good stable solution today would I go for Norton and if I want speed would I go for Sophos AV. If Panda can solve the problem do choose them as a winner. There are many more AV's for me to test and a lot's more to consider so my opinion can easily change from day to day .

~micael