Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Whats So bad about MS?

Quote from the article....

"Microsoft code has no bugs - In an interview with a German magazine called FOCUS, Bill Gates stated that Microsoft code does not have any significant bugs and he blamed the so called "bugs" on user error. Wow. This is frighteningly reminiscent of double-speak from 1984. Microsoft is in fact known for incredibly buggy software. Lest you think otherwise, Word should not crash when it is simply being used, IE should not crash when it is simply being used, and Windows should never crash just because a program it is running has performed an "illegal operation". These are just the tip of an enormous iceberg, but they are the most obvious bugs which anybody who has ever used Microsoft products for an extended period of time has run into. Don't let Bill Gates try to bully you into thinking Word crashing is your fault for not knowing how to use it -- Word completely dying because you did something "wrong" would be the equivalent of your car stalling because you didn't adjust the rear view mirror to be perfectly centered with the rear window."

nuff said!
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

I two dont agree with the fact that they buy out competition. In a sense, thats the whole game, but I feel that doing that doesnt help expand the possibilities for better systems and styles for Os's. Thats just my personal opinion.

dolemite I don't think you understand the difference between *nix and windows. Like I said, they make incredibly complex software. And in a way he was right, illegal operations come from software that the user puts on the computer that reacts with other software. And programs crash because something that the user put on there was buggy.

Uhmmm I believe I do understand the difference. I run 6 FreeBSD boxen at home, two remotely and I've been using FreeBSD for nearly a year and a half compared to using M$ for 14 years. I am now 100% M$ free, for many reasons, one of which I mentioned above. I'm not going to rant about the hundred other reasons why I don't use it. I think the article mentions plenty of them.

So....
    :-P
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    Sure, MS has bugs, but most software does, and I have seen many exploits for linux systems as well. MS provides good software (for the most part) and user friendly interfaces.

Very good point. Both OS have their exploits/faults. But, LINUX is free. How can you argue with that?

I can argue with that by saying that MS provides an easy interface, as well as a user friendly OS. We all have to start somewhere, and MS provides an excellent palce to do that. On the other hand, you can't easily rush into linux if you know nothing about it. MS provides a good OS to learn all about computers on.

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    We all have to start somewhere, and MS provides an excellent palce to do that.
    Tou·ché! You've got me there. I've always said that M$ is a great learning tool. But once you've mastered it don't you feel like trying something different? That's how I started my Linux journey. It wasn't about which OS is better......It was about being bored with Windows....

I agree with the bored part,
    but assiging Orwellian motifs to what is obviously 'sales speak' is silly.
    What CEO in their right mind has EVER said "Well, our product is mostly good..."?
    I am interested in exploring Linux not because I dislike MS, but because I wnat to learn new things, neither side is 'Good' or 'Evil' they're just diferent OS's.
    \"The fifth horseman of the apocalyse?\"
    \"Yeah, he left the group before they hit it big.\"
    T. Pratchett

kakhisrule, It's ok to like microsucks software, if you don't mind being babysat. I personally don't like winblowz software. Yes, its good for those that don't know comps or those people that are just learning. However, if you want to do anything "real" you need something stable, not something that has to be reinstalled or fixed every couple of days. I have had every version of winblowz immaginable on my comp. Everyone seems to like XP. So far, I have had to reinstall it on one of my boxes 8 times because it doesn't like a program or it just screws up for no reason. You can't tell me its all "user error". Yeah, the first time i had it installed, i crashed it by putting on the wrong software. But the last time, it was just running wierd...would lock up when it was doing nothing, the mouse was hopping all over the screen (its optical and clean) The comp is brand new. I cast my vote for linux. and i know others do too Cheers
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Microsoft sucks for a couple reason one is it's license terms, and two they buy up good technology and then weave it into their product without understand fully what that product was about (doubledisk as an example) thing is they then sit on the technology. Had there been in place laws to prevent them from the purchase of all these start up's say like FTC rules on now many say phone company's or radio and TV stations one company may hold. Technology is no different then these areas in their day. So MS sucks not because of their OS but because they take advantage of the lack of laws. What is Dell, Compaq, HP said ok MS your product is OK but your license terms suck we won't buy. MS says oh they cannot sell a computer unless it has their OS. Until both computer mfg's and software producers turn their noises up at MS and their license terms not much will change. Me I am simply tired of the console stereo concept of MS products, give me some compontents and well everyone thinks unl;ess it is MS no one will buy. Seen enough creative book keeping and dot com bubbles. No software company should be able to buy and hold the assets that MS has change that and things may get better.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg