Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FreeBSD

Banned

FreeBSD

ok, i was just checking out the FreeBSD site cause i want to know more about it....... the first thing it says is that its for DEC Alpha architecture......... ONLY DECs? or can i run this on any x86?

for Intel ia32 compatible
    Intel is x86 so yes
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

it most certainly will...i have it going on a pentium 3. i also had no problem configuring any of my hardware. it took a good hour an a half to do the total install, but it was painless enough and totally worth it. have fun with your new system!
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Banned
    ok, dont i feel like a jack then....... oops, i didnt catch that it was a list..... my bad

ok, so let me change the question in question here:

how simelar to linux 2.4 is it? would it be worth dual boot to try it out? (worth the 2 days of downloads?)

from what i see it looks like another *nix flavor..... KDE....... other linux apps........ ?

unless you're particulary attached to some linux distro, i wouldn't bother. the linux emulator in freebsd works fine if you want to keep up with the newest versions of netscape or staroffice or whatever....i have kde on it but i rarely use it. i'm not as familiar with linux so i'm not the best person to be compairing the two.

the best way to go with any new os is to keep it on a junker computer until you get used to it, and keep the os that you're most familar with on your main box until you're ready to upgrade.

Bwahahaha.. Yes, it does work on x86 machines. And yes, the linux emulator works provided you keep your ports collection current. I've just updated my source and ports trees via cvsup to the 4.6-stable. So far, I'm happy with it. Some of the quirks I had with Star Office have been cleared. The linux emulator installed w/ ease and has nothing major going on.

As for the running of the Desktop environments: They work fine. In 4.6-stable they have included X 4.2.0 in the ports tree (/usr/ports/x11) and have also included KDE 3, Gnome 2, enlightenment (My favorite), blackbox, and a ton of others located in /usr/ports/x11-wm

Variances of FreeBSD versus Linux - Some file heirarchy changes, some command switches are different. All in all, they tend to be capable and similar enough that the change comes with some ease. I haven't seen availability of IPTables or IPChains (linux firewalling) yet, but IPFW and ipfilter (FreeBSD firewalling) work great.

FreeBSD is not necessarily so nice to newbies though. Some of the configuration can be a pain if you don't know what's up. Linux distros can be the same depending on which one you get.

Regards.

[EDIT]
    If you have a good deal of experience w/ linux distros, the transition should come fairly easy. Hope this helps.
    [/EDIT]
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Banned
    hmmmmm,so do they use the same kernal (eg, does BSD use kernal 2.4.x or is there its own BSD kernal group)?

heh
    There is no kernel like that.
    It's either -Release -Stable -Current.
    Right now 4.6-Release is the current release.
    From that they develop to -Current which is new code and not stable.
    When it gets stable they move it to -Stable
    After 3 or 4 months, they freeze -Stable which gets tested and tested and then eventually it comes -Release.
    You use CVS ( concurrent versions system ) to download the sources and build world to update your entire operating system.
    Thats is one of the major difference between unix and linux.
    Linux is just a kernel while unix is a complete os.
    Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far. - Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    hmmmmm i think ill learn the rest of SuSE before i branch out any further, thanks all!

i had been using my schools solaris machine for over a year before i put linux onto my machine, and i thought the transition was huge. i was lost for like a month...i had no problems actually using the system, but the amount of work that went into just getting it up and running and and compatible with my hardware was very time consuming.

on the other hand, i had freebsd installed on a saturday and by sunday i had compiled the kernal a few times (more then i'd like to admit) and my hardware running perfectly. i'm sure it's far from the most secure or well oiled system out there, but it works for what i need it for and i'm learning a hell of a lot more with it then i did linux.