Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M$ owns you

Angry M$ owns you

The link: http://slashdot.org/articles/02/06/2....shtml?tid=109

Seen this on slashdot

n an article on BSD Vault a careful reader posts that in the latest Windows Media Player security patch, the EULA (the "license agreement" you click on) says that you give MS the right to install digital rights management software, and the right to disable any other programs which may circumvent DRM on your computer." So if you want your machine secure, you also want microsoft to have free reign on your PC.
    These end user license agreements are getting out of hand. In my opinion it’s not ok to put Trojans and virus on people’s computers just because it’s mentioned in the EULA.

Never use windows media player. But of course you all ready know that.

Is Windows Media Player the only media player that spies on you. Cause I don't Use Windows Media Player Just because it's such a heavy application to use. I'm curious though do other media players like Winamp which is my choice, do they have anything like this going on with them?
    Good Grief

I think winamp is ok as far as spyware goes. I have my fire wall it block from the internet just to be sure. You can never be too paranoid.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

you give MS the right to install digital rights management software, and the right to disable any other programs which may circumvent DRM on your computer."
    These end user license agreements are getting out of hand. In my opinion it’s not ok to put Trojans and virus on people’s computers just because it’s mentioned in the EULA.
    Digital Rights Management Software != Virii or Trojans

DRM is used to ensure that you payed for what you are using!!

You do pay for stuff right?

-Simon Templer
    Simon Templer

\"Your work is to discover your world and then with all your heart give yourself to it. \"
    -The Buddha

Hmmm, i went to the slashdot thread that cwk9 gave, read the whole thread, and am still confused. it looks like the "patch" (which i just downloaded before my daily AO visit... darn! ) sets Media Player to accept the EULA change that will include the DRM software, or perhaps the "patch" was the whole tamale all at once who knows. i really don't care personally, 'cause it seems that Windows Media Player "updates" has always messed up what my 'puter will play automatically, so i usually end up uninstalling it (my computer - view - folder options - file types) from opening various types of sound files and use either WinAmp or some other simpler program. DRM validation doesn't bother me, as i suspect it doesn't bother most folks around here. neither does checkin' where i go particularly bother me but if it starts wanting to access the internet or act as a server i'll probably just delete it from my start menu. Anybody got any better ideas?

I know that RealPlayer is also spying you. But I think RealPlayer is too heavy too. So I use it only when I can't do anything else.
    I prefer WinAmp for audio and IrfanView for the video (yes, I know it is not it speciality but it work well).
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

As it is right now I am writing a purposed addition of software into exhisting consumer protection laws. I should have it finished in another couple weeks, this then will be put on on-line petitions so people can sign and also forward on to their respective law makers. In short the software industry has taken to much advantage of no controls and or responsibility for their products. It is time the like the maker of any other consumer item be accoutable for their actions. Anyone wanting to lend a hand send a PM to me and I will pass along what I have so far. M$ may get off scott free on the anti trust but consmers in the tech sector need and deserve the same rights as with any other product.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I don't understand! How can media players be spyware? What are they spying on? Your taste in music? What do they do, and why? Which are safe? Sorry, I suck I know, but this sounds worth knowing...

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

MS owns so many of us. And though I do hate their EULA agreements, (there was another EULA that gave permission to MS to do too much on the user's system, I forget what it was) I looove their software. MS rulz. Sure, they say that they have the right, but they won't use it, if they did some hax0r would nuke them into the ground. I say, don't worry 'boot it.

The Iceman Cometh
    Lady HaxX0r > There are many media players out there which contain spy ware, though, in my experience, RealPlayer is the worst. The first step I take after doing a clean install of my machines is to disable any features which contact the server of the manufacturer. Next I already have my hardware firewall set up to only accept certain traffic, but sometimes I have to disconnected my firewall for various reasons. I therefore set up software firewalls on the computers, which also, only allow ingoing and outgoing traffic via specified ports. That way, I don't have any surprises, including getting stuck with any spyware that sends out information about the computers to a random server. Also, I recommend running a spyware removal tool (such as ad-aware or the cleaner to ensure you don't have any spyware right now)

AJ