Thread: Atari Games Query

Question Atari Games Query

I was reminiscing just now about the good old Atari days [I truly believed those days *were* good, tehre's no irony here] and I really wanna play Attack of the Mutant Camels again, I think it was called that, and Zack McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders...Aw, there are loads actually! But I'm not sure what emulators are or how they work; I mean, do I have to d/l an emulator then also obtain games downloads for it? Or do the games contain something to make them run on a PC if you get the right download? Can anyone recommend a site where they've gotten Atari stuff that works, with sound as well [my brother always had problems with that, and the beeping rubbish that accompanied the gameplay was half the entertainment!] Any suggestions would be warmly received

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

GreekGoddess
    For whatever system you desire to play games on, you're going to need to download an emulator. I have 6 different emulators on my computer for different consoles. You'll also have to download each game individually. Some emulators have compatability issues with certain games, some require certain .dll files for them to run correctly, along with special drivers and bios (for example: Playstation) for it to run at all.

Classic Gaming is one of my favorite sites, and it always works......it's not until you get into newer emulators for the newest platforms that you seem to have problems.

http://www.classicgaming.com/vault/2600roms-AD.shtml

This site has links to emulators, games, and info...really great.

Hope this helps.

You champion of love and justice, I'm checking it now and attempting some downloads. Seems pretty coherent, thanks a lot, that's great!

XXX
    The Owls Are Not What They Seem

Stockpile of emulation and rom links here...tons of useless crap, too...but hey, emulators and roms are essentially illegal, so take the good with the bad.

http://www.pure-emu.com/

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor

Stockpile of emulation and rom links here...tons of useless crap, too...but hey, emulators and roms are essentially illegal, so take the good with the bad.
    As I know it, only the ROM is illegal to have - the emulation will enable a user to take a ROM image off their original media and provide a backup of their own data (e.g. their purchased game). Also illegal are BIOS images, like from the PSX and Neo-Geo.

Like I said, this is my understanding - is this not correct?

Atari roms are kinda fun sometimes, my friend told me about this game plaque attack, I downloaded it, it was pretty sad, but it had a cool retro feel to it. Atari games aren't something that should be brought back, but its fun to play 'em sometimes.

Here's a game everyone should remember, epsecially with the recent All Your Base revival.

Zero Wing

I love the old stuff and I still have a Atari 2600 sitting under my TV with a box o games

Peace out

GreekGoddess
    A ROM is legal to have "if" you actually own a copy of that game...blah, blah, blah....
    If not, you have to delete the ROM from your hard drive 24 hours after downloading it.

Banned
    AcK~ I still have the original systems, and if I see a tag sale. I stop to see if they have any of the games I'm missing. My FAVORITE blast from the past is Fantasy Star 1 for the Original Sega Master System.