Thread: C:\System Volume Information ?

C:\System Volume Information ?

Today I had decided to clean-up my Hard drive (into Windows XP)
    After I have deleted a lot of files (8 GO) I found a folder named
    C:\System Volume Information containing 500 MO of datas (copies of a big numbers of exe, INI, dll...) and I don't know what is the goal of this folder and if I can delete it.

If someone know the goal of this folder, please provide your knowledge with me.Thanks
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

you can delete it...if you plan on installing linux...

hint...as a general rule...never ever delete anything that has the word "system" in it...it's usually reaaaallly important...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

Zigar, its that thinking that makes virus writers make virus names things like system32.exe or win32.exe. Both of which I had and both of which I deleted.

true true ...

it's also how people are convinced to delete sulfnbk.exe....

and besides if you have up to date av defs....you won't need to delete them...since you won't get them in the first place

but again...as a general rule...especially for people who don't know...deleting things without a good reason (ie...av soft told me system32.exe is a virus...) is a baad thing...i speak from way too many repairs of..."but i didn't think it was important"
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

I don't think it is a virus. I have KAV in date and the folder is very heavy for a virus.
    I think it is used by Windows but there are a lot of **** that Windows use and forget to destroy correctly.

The System Volume Information folder is a hidden, system folder that the System Restore tool uses to store its information and restore points. There is a System Volume Information folder on every partition on your computer. You might need to gain access to this folder for troubleshooting purposes.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q309531

Actually zigar, AV software telling you it is a virus means it is most likely a virus. You should know your computer and your OS, it helps make you more computer saavy and it helps you find files that don't belong.

I agree with you khakisrule.
    Thanks Zigar, going on microsoft.com was totaly out of my mind.

Originally posted here by khakisrule
    Actually zigar, AV software telling you it is a virus means it is most likely a virus. You should know your computer and your OS, it helps make you more computer saavy and it helps you find files that don't belong.
    Hum, I think you might have read his post wrong... I believe this is exactly what zigar meant..

Ammo