Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Free Anti-Virus software...do you get what you pay for?

Preep - I would suggest running adaware on your machine. My parents never get pop ups from AVG.
    The stories here just go to show that free software can somethimnes be better because they know they wont get any money out of for any bug fixes.

avg all around for me too, ive got it on my 2 boxes (one on win 98 SE, other on XP pro) and on my parents box that also uses 98 SE, havnt had a single problem with it at all even in xp (dont need no compat mode either)

good thing about it is you get updates as well as the virus program, as its well known its not much use having an av progam without keping it updated, the update only takes about 5 mins to get too so they have the idea of accessible free virus protection for peeps who dont want to spend $100 on something that can be had for free anyway

and now getting to the topic in discussion here, no you dont get what you pay for coz you dont pay for it, except if you want to include the charge for your net access and phone calls :-), not very often you get something for nothing these days

GOD BLESS FREE PRODUCTS

Another vote for AVG. We have it on both of our computers. I've read numerous reviews on AVG antivirus and I think, in conjunction with Tiny Personal Firewall (also free), you can't go wrong. Nothing is 100% but the combination is very good.

wow

WOW so many people are saying good things about this antivirus so i'm gonna have to check it out thx

I use BitDefender.....easy to use...unobtrusive....automatic updates...no problems!!

I've put it thru alot of tests.

tons of fun

. i used mclaughee and i had one puter crash. im going to have to try AVG. if its as good as everyone here says i think i might be happy.

From what ive heard AVG is one of the best free anti-virus scanners out there. Norton has a feature simliar to AVG's 'Hueristic Scanning', called 'Bloodhound Virus Detection Technology', although im not too sure how it measures up.

avg in my opinion is in my opinion an excellent virus scanner, in some cases possibly better than some payed for commercial virus scanners. of course you also have the added bonus of free updates. i use avg alongside my mcafee virus scanner just to make sure nothing slips onto my comp that shudent be there :P

Thanks friends. I was just starting to look around for an anti-virus for my new XP machine and i think ill give this AVG a shot. 24% downloaded right now. Thanks again.
    \"I\'m not a slave to a god that doesn\'t excist. I\'m not a slave to a world that doesn\'t give a ****.\"
    -Marilyn Manson