Thread: OpenBSD ssh honeypot story

OpenBSD ssh honeypot story

There's a story I found (on www.deadly.org) of a guy's experience with a openbsd honeypot box with vulnerable sshd... Results: 2 "hackers" within one day!

http://www.lucidic.net/whitepapers/m...-5-2002-1.html

Interesting read...

Ammo

That's an amusing post. Good information in it. Thanks.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Very cool. If I ever get brod band i'll set up a crummy win98 honeypot.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

I just found a (supposedly) working, used Compaq Pentium computer with a zero insertion force motherboard, NIC card, hard drive (no idea the size) and a nice case that opens quickly without a screwdriver (in my opinion, the best part of the deal). I have plans to make it a firewall. The place I got it had about a dozen others.... I may go back to get another or two just to play around with honeypots and different web server environments. I don't know why more manufacturers don't make their computer cases serviceable without a screwdriver; it seems common sense to me, but then, I'm a Mac user.

I get a 404 error when I try to go to the link

G. Ben. M > I got the error there, and again when I tried to find it on deadly.org

Moose69 > have you seen how a lot of dell's computers open, I have a workstation that opens like a breifcase, which is really nice when adding new hardware.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Syini,
    I just saw an Optiplex case a couple of days ago, and you're right; it's very nice and similar to the Compaq's. I was interested in buying it, but the guy wanted $300 for it. I got the Compaq for $30. Since I made the post, I bought one more Compaq, but haven't had time to set them up yet. I saw Micro Center had almost 50 more of them today, but I didn't have the time to sort thru them.

The Iceman Cometh
    It looks like the Distributed Honeypot Project site is down. I don't know how long it's been down or how long it will remain down (if not indefinately)... I did find at least some links to a little information about the article. Read it at:

Slashdot
    Deadly.org

AJ

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. Here ya'll go. The following link will take you directly to the article: http://www.anuzisnetworking.com/whitepapers/

-> I was just at the HoneyNet project site, http://project.honeynet.org/

-> A very educational and mind-expanding read. Their statistics on automated scans raised at least one eyebrow on my metal head. I like the idea you guys suggest about making my own little pot, but as far as my education/time goes, its a ways off. I'm still working on making an old box into a firewall, lol.
    Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra