Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wierd Windoze Problem

Wierd Windoze Problem

Okay, I do not use windoze too often, just every now and then for games and stuff like that, but today I booted up my box into windoze, then had to leave for a minute. When I came back, {tiny is still in startup} it said my computer was trying to send off some packets to 255.255.255.0, I did not think too much of it just clicked permit, since there isn't even a modem line connected to this box. Anyway, I clicked permit a few times, there were a few of them up, and then DHDCP Client #1 popped up, I clicked yes, now really trying to figure out what the hell my box was doing, another one popped up #2 clicked yes again and then it stopped. But anyway, I have no clue what the hell this is, but now it really has my curiousity so if someone can please explain to me what happened, go right ahead.

Remember, there isn't even a phone/cable line into the box.

I posted screenshots of the errors that popped up, good luck anyone, I have no clue what happened.

I am on windoze98. No changes have been made in the last few months, but the box has been used since then quite a few times.

It is not a common behaviour for a virus or something like that.

I think that you have some needed services (about DHCP probably or something depending of it) disabled on your computers. If your on XP or 2k, check your services list (into administration) and verify all.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Re: Wierd Windoze Problem

Maybe it s a dialer auto connect at startup?
    Check your startup.
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

The3ntropy thats nothing. i have tiny installed and it shows the same message often. KissCool is right, it is some service that windoze iz running. Nothing to worry about though.
    My two cents,
    XPaCiScOoL

[glowpurple]\"Your Smallest Flaw is my greatest Strength.\" - Me[/glowpurple]

255.255.255.0 Means your computer is trying to broadcast a message to the entire internet. Don't worry broadcast are usually stopped at the first router they come to. Most likely some service is sending out useless info to computers that don't care.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

That is a bit strange. You say you don't have a network card or modem hooked up? The first message was about some network device loosing its DHCP lease. The second message said the device was able to aquire a DHCP lease. Sounds like you're running a DHCP server somewhere. Is this machine hooked to a network or DSL/Cable modem or something, cause it's trying to get an ip address from somewhere and got one from something. You're sure you don't hav a network card in 'er?
    Wolfe...............
    ...to fly upon the wings of imagination is to have the key to the world...

Do you have an ethernet card? The dhcp messages are common from boot. Means that your system was unable to to acquire a new DHCP lease for a particular networking device, including but not limited to ehternet adapters. It's a windoze default, more of a courtesy to let you know you have no network connection. The second one is also a windoze default asking if you want to know more of these occurrences. The broadcast packet on 255.255.255.0 is not likely anything to be too concerned about, it's more than likely your machine trying to get a new DHCP lease. And as it was mentioned, if it's not the DHCP request, it will often be dropped at the first router.

Hope this helps.
    Regards

[EDIT]
    Even if you don't have the cabling attached, if there is a NIC installed, you will get the messages. The hardware being installed is enough to cause it.
    [EDIT]
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

It is an older box, it is not connected to any network, it does not have an ethernet card or modem card, there are no cables at all connected into it or out of it. There is no way that it could have communicated to anything, that is why it is wierd to me.

There aren't any cards used to communicate with other boxes in my computer. There is only a sound and video card in there.

Anyone know now what is happening?

I think someone said it already... sounds like normal dhcp behaviour... it performs a bootp request )broadcast) to the network, asking for an IP address and, well, looks like something repsonded.
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

The Iceman Cometh
    I have a question... why do you even have a firewall installed if it's not connected to anything? lol Anyway, since it's 98, check to see what's running in the background and see if there's anything "suspicious". Also, check your networking settings in Control Panel to see if any services are activated there. That may be causing the problem... hope some of these suggestions help.

AJ