Thread: Corona from M$..

Corona from M$..

Well, this looks to be interesting. M$ is developing their latest in streaming media platforms. They have code named it "Corona," officially naming Windows Media 9. Public beta testing begins September 4th in Los Angeles, CA.

It seems it could potentially remedy some of the jittery aspects of current streaming media by fully exploiting a users bandwidth..

See the article here.

And here all this time I thought Corona was a beer!
    I'd be interested to test this out when it finally comes available. Not only for the chance to test the abilities of it for streaming video, but the security aspect might prove to be a worthwhile endeavor too. I'm kind of interested to see what kind of data about the WM9 users will be gathered and the like. So much to see when this is released.

Regards.

edit :
    A quick search at the MS home page has provided me with this article further detailing the project.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

Still smells to me of yet another attempt from M$ to take over the web for the good of all and news thing is I never rely upon MSNBC.com for streaming media of any type. I'll wait to read the EULA on this one no doubt use this stuff M$ owns everything you do. No doubt further that digital rights management is even further hidden in the software. All of their recent "so called innovations" go back to their dot net push. Boot your computer pay them a monthly fee, I'm not impressed.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I"ve got to admit that I don't rely on MSNBC.com either. I merely found the article an interesting read as it started to touch on some of the details of supposed abilities of the new package. As for the whole .NET thing, all I can do is cringe and stick with my FreeBSD systems for fear of what is to come of .NET.
    I don't like M$ as it is. I don't care if they made things easier for people, I don't care if they market themselves well. I do however care about their direction as a company. I don't even care about the programming habits all that much. I can understand the desire to make profits, but to push the product so heavily and eliminate all competition and perspective choices is monopolistic and subsequently the robber baron should be squashed accordingly.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

I am SICK AND TIRED of MS trying to own everything computers. TCP/IP, Palladium, now this. Ugh it's so frustrating. Here's a thought for the TCP/IP thing: Make a different version of the web that accesses MS sights (sights that you need to get to sometimes) as well as an "underground" internet with Linux and such sites. I think anyone would want the internet that views more sites. Maybe there'd be copyright issues or something then. Grr..
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

I suppose it comes down to this M$ whas found GUILTY, and even after Guilt on their part was proven in court. They M$ more or less give the middle finger to the entire US but the world. They were not out here in 1990 do they provide direction yep buy their product and they own your computer and can change the EULA at their choosing without. They are guilty in light of all the other corp falling from creative accounting even in their be found GUILTY they still act the same way. Bill & M$ is doing the same thing power in market share even though no one asks what when you order a PC as the general public you have one choice M$. Consumer laws are what need to change and proper disclosure of what you buy.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Old Fart
    Corona is a conspiracy against consumers developed by MS with DRM input from the RIAA and MPAA. Yet another attempt to enslave the masses by the Redmond Raiders.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

It's a marketing ploy for the WIndows.NET server, and Bill wants everybody to have the "It's new and it's neat" ferver so they can all run out and buy it. I am glad they are making a nice media player/recorder/hash brown maker, but what can I say? It's Microsoft. I can gurantee for enterprise and large customers are going to want a lot more than an over-inflated mp3 player to even consider looking the other way...

/yawns and drinks soda

Just so happens that corona is also the name of crappy Mexican liquor.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Just so happens that corona is also the name of crappy Mexican liquor.
    crappy alcohol equates to crappy software? In this case potentially. I don't trust anything they put out. I really don't trust this .NET crap merely for the expenditure aspect that is likely to become prevalent. And to top it off the palladium crap is another potential POS.

Conceptually if it smoothens streaming images, then great.. However, at the cost that is more than likely to be paid, it's just not worth it. I'd still love to see what kind of info about the users is gathered through this new server ap of theirs.