Thread: A hole in a CPU

Talking A hole in a CPU

This is probably one of the dumber questions but does anyone have any idea what’s the best way to drill a hole in a CPU. I want it to use it as a key ring just for fun. But i was a little bit shocked. When I tried drilling it the standard way and the drill could not even scratch the surface of it ?!? Anyway you can see I have lots of free time now …

Use a harder drill bit. The grades are something like this:

• High speed steel (most common)
    • Cobalt steel (yellow color)
    • Carbide tipped (or masonry drill)
    • Diamond coated (will drill through glass)

The cobalt steel type will probably work well enough.
    Don't confuse it with "titanium nitride coated", which
    is also yellow, but is just high speed steel with a low
    friction coating.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I already tried with Titanium one and gave up after about 20min. Hmm maybe the diamond coated one will work. What is the outside of the CPU made from looks like some kind of compressed ceramics … stuff ....

I guess that is a ceramic. (I always assumed it was plastic).
    Maybe the carbide masonry bit would be adequate. They're
    commonly available in hardware stores, but diamond is not.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

The Iceman Cometh
    If you don't already have a diamond tipped bit, try asking your dentist for one of their tips (that's where I got my few for my first dremmel tool in high school). Diamond tipped bits aren't very expensive, but their expensive for one-time use. If your dentist won't give you one of their bits, ask if they're willing to drill the hole for you. I don't see why it would be a problem... it's always worth a shot.

AJ

Hmm some good advice there I’ll try tomorrow when the stores open. But I was so surprised with the hardness of this thing makes me wonder would someone be able to use that stuff and build clip (I think that’s right English word) for the car engines. Just for fun I used hmm don’t know the English word for it but one of those machines that peel metal and after this massive effort got a dent on a side. I mean sure you could make car engine clip, they would wear down a lot less... then steel.

What if you heat something (the drill maybe) to an extremely hot temperature, then try. Maybe it'll work, maybe not, but hey, worth giving it a shot.

Also, if that fails, why not just super-glu something on that you can attach a keyring to?

It's too later here really, just past 4am - can't think of anything else. But yeah, throw some ideas around, think outside the square.

Cheers,
    Greg

Just wanted to say, I just finished watching K-PAX. It's sensational, I would highly recommend it if you haven't seen it. Very good film.
    \"Do you know what people are most afraid of?
    What they don\'t understand.
    When we don\'t understand, we turn to our assumptions.\"
    -- William Forrester

Kwiep
    I used a drill thing used to drill holes in stone and I had no problem. I moved from small to large and it was an 468 DX Intel CPU.
    Double Dutch