Thread: who needs a windows partition anyway! :D

Talking who needs a windows partition anyway! :D

just wanted to show u all how beautiful linux can be

check out the screenshot attached to this post.
    I'm running pure Red Hat 7.3 on my box and as the screenshot shows... I'm running Trillian, MS Word 2000, MS Excel 2000 and Photoshop 7.0 perfectly!

there are so many ppl who create a seperate partition in with windoze on it because they wanna run their usual programs.. well, I've proven that it's a wasted of time... a little wine (e.g. CodeWeavers CrossOver projects) and VMware does the trick.
    atm I'm using VMware only to run photoshop but I expect to get it running with wine soon.

cheers all
    regardz... zion1459
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

Yeah, thats true for some things, but sometimes wine just doesn't work with a program, and it can also be a -bleep- to setup and configure to run.

haha... yup.. you *can* basically do anything in linux nowadays if you know what you're doing

Oohh, pretty.

I don't suppose uncle bill would be too happy seeing you running his things on a *gasp* free o/s.

Hmmmmm, maybe someone should post it onto m$.com somewhere.

Must've taken you a bit to *tweak tweak* I've been playing around with bochs a bit. It's an x86 emulator, allowing you to install window$ (or another i386 o/s) within *nix.

yea wine can be a *beep* to configure but I found out that the most important thing is for it to have the right fonts installed and all the necessary DLLs available... making wine run photoshop is hard but I'm nearly there... VMware is good but it's kewl0r to run things with wine (most things run faster... but on a 2,266GHz everythin does hehe)
    zion1459

Not to sound like a wet blanket, but I'd like to throw out a cautionary word regarding all the Windows emulation work going on. As undeniably cool as it is, those of us who remember OS/2 have already been down the Windows emulation path, with disastrous results. Having Windows apps running under Wine and VMWare may, in fact, slow the porting of mainstream apps to alternative platforms like Linux. With OS/2, IBM (and plenty of others, including me) thought being able to run Windows apps was a great selling point for new users who didn't want to give up their Netscape and MSWord. In reality, what it did was remove any incentive ISV's might have had to port their apps to OS/2. Every time we contacted a vendor about an OS/2 port, we were told "Doesn't OS/2 run Windows apps? Just run it on there...."

The availability of Win-OS/2 was one of the reasons OS/2 applications never reached critical mass and the platform ended up going belly-up. I think it was a miscalculation on IBM's part. Of course, the landscape is different today and Linux is certainly a different beast than OS/2, but the principle remains true enough. I don't know that there's really a right answer - do you try to make the transition easy for new users and unwittingly give ISVs an excuse not to port any apps, or do you hold out for native commercial apps that will help the platform gain legitimacy in the consumer market?

Not saying it's going to happen, just that we need to pay attention to the past. Just something to think about.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

well how would u e.g. live without Photoshop if u earned ur cash on creating graphics? and if u run 2 partitions (a windoze and a linux) the problem would still remain... no, emulation is necessary and once "we" (the ones who care) create a proper linux port of the major products the firms can simply use our ports and create linux versions... would u stop eating if the only f00d available was junk-f00d as u were against it?
    ur concern makes sence but we can't just stop and yell: "HA! we aint gonna use ur proggies until u make a linux version"
    most ppl still run windoze and the big firms who use the advanced (and expensive) programs always buy windoze-boxes in order to run the programs..
    oh, and linux will never die!
    zion1459