Thread: BSD or Linux

Post BSD or Linux

The other day, i watch tech tv and there are some guys talking about BSD and strongly recommand it, i just wonder what operating system is the best? BSD or Linux.

er0k
    it depends on what you are looking for. BSD is more difficult, but better for running servers development etc in my opinion. Linux is probably a better OS overall. It depends on your skilz and what you want to do with the operating system. They are both very stable.

well, BSD and linux are each in their own realm... if you want stability for personal use go for FBSD... if you want an operating system that is widely used and updated use Redhat Linux or whatever.. if it's for a server go for NetBSD... truthfully there is no "best OS" but i would strongly recommend Mandrake, RedHat, Slackware (the most unix-like linux), or FBSD.

Born with Slackware.
    Grew up with RedHat.
    Matured with FreeBSD.

My *nix life in a nutshell.

No, seriously, both o/s's have advantages over each other. As gamemaster6502 said, Linux (and specifically RedHat), is a very widely used o/s. As a result, there are many people out there that contribute software. (Isn't the full set of RedHat something like 7 cd's long, 2 of which are for the base system and the rest rpm's?)

Anyways, I've been using FreeBSD for a year now, and I utterly adore it. It is often considered a bit more advanced than linux, and therefore a bit more difficult, but that just adds to the fun. I WILL never go back to linux.

But here's a suggestion: Why not install both a Linux distro and FreeBSD?

I've been using FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Mandrake, Debian, and Red Hat
    Today I'm sticking with Red Hat... it runs a good firewall, the services are the same... and Red Hat has made somethin called up2date which alerts u whenever a new update is available for one of your RPMs (it can even update the kernel automatically)... FreeBSD has something like this too... but the big plus with Red Hat is that it's so widely used and nearly everything exists as RPMs for it and if u wanna play with emulating, Red Hat is the way to go
    for a pure server/firewall I would use FreeBSD anytime though

(and yes RPMs r0x.... it's faster then having to compile the program yourself... but it's still very recommended u know how to do so...)
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds

yeah, i am using the lastest redhat 7.3. but don't know why it freezes on my 500mhz machine? i have read many texts saying that linux can smoothly run only older machines. strange...

Alt+F4: Give us your machine specs. Linux does not run too well on older machines, but it runs much much more efficiently on modern machines. I use FreeBSD for my older machines simply because of it's architecture simplicity/efficiency that allows for a much smaller kernel for practical use (it is a very refined architecture, but it also has a lot of hyped pumped in). Anyhows, I would always recommend Linux over FreeBSD as a development platforms at FreeBSD's current state.

er0k: I would say both offer identical development environments, the only difference Linux has much more support in general from both commercial and personal entities that allows you to have a lot more development puff (libraries, etc...)

500Mhz an older machine?!?!?!?!!??!?!?

That's not an older machine. How about this: My pentium sticker still has a little MMX on the corner of it.

*Sigh*

1.66*10^8 cycles every second. 3rd world countries suck.........big time

zion1459: Automatic update are fun, yes, but if I wanted things done for me, I'd rather use XP. I want to know exactly what's going on with my system at any time. I dont want to have to try and figure out from ps what arbitrary proccesses are hogging my bandwidth. But I suppose it could be a blessing while your computer downloads latest version of whatever while you are asleep, instead of having to do it all manually, watching and waiting for a download to complete.

I suppose one could, with the knowledge, write a couple scripts that could do automatic checks and updates.

specs:
    linux never does anything u haven't told it to.... it's linux.. not windoze hehe
    and everything can be turned on and off in linux... that's what the service manager is for (or the many conf files... init.d lmao)
    zion1459
    Visit: http://www.cpc-net.org
    \"Software is like sex: it\'s better when it\'s free.\" -Linus Torvalds