Thread: NTFS partition resizing

Question NTFS partition resizing

Hi Everybody,
    This thread is in continuation of the partitioning / formatting tool thread. The situation is that I have a new PC with WinXP installed on a 80GB hard disk with no partitions. Now I want to resize the WinXP partition (NTFS format) so that I can create new partitions to install Linux/QNX/FreeBSD. I would like to do this without removing WinXP(i.e. formatting the whole hard disk). I want to know if this is possible. And if yes, how?
    Any information will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

DA007

Old Fart
    I won't swear to it, but you should be able to do it with Partition Magic from Powerquest. Here's a link, check it out...

http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Computer Forensics
    partition magic 7 has winxp support for the newer ntfs. it works fine. FIPS is another tool you could use.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Used partition magic for this, and it does an excellent job.

PM 7.0 Has WinXP support as well as support for 80 GB Drives. Have used it successfully at work many times.

I've had partition magic totally fsck a disk with multiple partitions (FAT32 & NTFS) whilst re-sizing.
    Always have a backup of any important files / stuff before re-sizing or major disk work!
    As an additional benefit, re-sizing disks is a lot quicker if they're empty or not full, move the files to a safe location (ideally to another PC or hard disk) before starting just in case.

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

I'm afraid that an off the shelf partitioning tool such as Partition Magic is the only way to go. I had a 20gb drive with 2 partitions, one with Win XP and one for data. The C drive was filling up with applications and I wanted to extend it. The Disk Management util in XPs Administrative tools doesn't include the option to do this, nor does the command line option: diskpart. Basically, if the partition you want to extend contains the OS, boot files etc, then diskpart won't let you extend the partition. Hang on a sec though! Go to the Disk Management console and check out the help file. There might be a section there about creating partitions!!! I can't remember, because of course, I didn't want to CREATE a partition, merely EXTEND a partition. Diskpart is a better alternative I've found, to fdisk. Best of luck
    Flod!

Thank you all for your replies. You have been a great help.

DA007