Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Earning Antipoints

bludgeon,

This is just my HO, but I think it would be really neat. . .and prolly conducive to better conversation and understanding another person's point. . .if we would be allowed an opportunity to place a small (one line) reply when you click on the reply to this assignment link in the AOpoints center. At the very least, I know, I know, it's wrong, but it would give us a little bit of an outlet for the negs that we think are irrelevant.
    I am sorry Alexzel, I did send you a neg ( To anyone else in this thread, I did Sign it. ) But I do stand on my belief that this type of post by a newbie would be up in flames by now.

As stated by Fakeboy:

And we see the effect of double standards here. If you were in fact a newbie, that was crying over NEGS, this thread would be suicidal in seconds.
    Another supporting opinion by Louie:

Honestly Alexzel, all of us get Negative antipoints all the time. Do you really have to waste the forum space with another whining post.
    A very good point by Joey_Batch_File:

you really should be neg'd for leading by a bad example. You should be showing the newbies the correct way about dealing with these situations
    And the list continues, I see the general feeling here is that this post is a bad influence on the newbies. Your statis is very good on this board and you should be setting examples.

Thats my $.02 for what it is worth...
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Give me a minute to play both sides of the field here.

I do agree that if a newbie had made this post he/she would be negged to suicidal in seconds. Therefore proving that indeed a double standard does exsist, although unfair, it is life, life is rarely fair. It is a valid and true point though.

I also agree that some people post very well and get deserving AP's for those posts. The balancing act with AP's is something we knew would happen when the ratio came to be. Also unfair but again life.

I believe that AP thread's are getting to be a bit tiresome, we all have our opinions, they've all been expressed before and we aren't getting anywhere. I see both sides of the field and what does that do for me? Absolutely nothing.

Sorry, rant over.

All these complaints about Antipoints...
    Either people are getting +ap for things they shouldn't, or they are getting -ap for stuff they shouldn't, or are getting +ap for posts, and then people are cancelling it out by giving them -ap....

Its kinda what they are about... If someone agrees with what you say or how you say it, they can give you +ap... if they disagree, they can give you -ap... most complaints about getting points, whether +/- are rubbish... There have only been a few real cases of AP Abuse...
    Fact is, there would probably be less complaints if AP were used more... because people would get used to getting/losing points more frequently, and they would learn not to complain because, while you may lose 5 today, you post something good and you can get 10 tommorow.

And if your gonna complain about getting negative points.. think about poor little ol' me... I've previously asked for them (literally)... and I got positives from all but one person...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

I don't really care about the points.

I only post if I have something usefull to say, and I don't care if people think what I have to say is good or bad. It's my opinion, and I have the right to speak it. I DO NOT however flame people, or use harsh language. If I make a mistake, I'll reply and apologise.

I really couldn't care about the antipoint system. If someone posts a dumb question like "How do I hack my friends Hotmail account?" Then yes, I'll give it negative antipoints, but unless someone really touches me with a heart-felt post, or has a uniquely amazing post, I won't even bother giving it positive antipoints.

I only use the antipoints to close dumb pointless threads that will just be a waste of space. If I think someone posted a meaningful thread, I'll tell them. Telling someone that they posted something useful/meaningful is more sincere than giving them a better antipoint total. Doing that just fuels this "drive by antipoint" endevor.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off, but I this is how I feel about the topic of antipoints.

Not that i care about AP's but how do i find out if my AP's are unbalance? Will I get banned if it ain't balance?

Dome, Alexzel>i agree with you on that 100%
    Just cus the post isnt perfect doesnt mean it deserves negs... if anything should be changed about the AP system its the balancing out.
    /me I think if a Thread isn't perfect enough , then it shouldn't deserve negs

http://www.antionline.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq

http://www.antionline.com/misc.php?s...=faq&page=4#28

well here's where i stand:

i have on several ocasions given greenies to posts that were negitive for obviously wrong reasons, and i dont see why there is anything wrong with doing the same to posts with positive AP's.

the way i look at it is this: if you see your average, everyday post, what does that deserve for an AP value? well, judging by the majority of posts here, it deserves a neutral value. now take that same post and you see it with a negitive value. by giving it greenies you arent necessarily saying "i think this post should get greenies", but more "i dont think this post should have negs". now, the same goes for posts with a large ammount of greenies; if i see one that i find rather un-remarkable and definatly un-deserving of whatever ammount it has, i dont see why i shouldnt give it negs in order to get it closer to the value I think it should have.

i see assigning AP's as more of moving it twards the AP level that YOU think it should have, weather that is positive, negitave, or neutral. its more of a relitave thing than an objective "this should get greenies/this should get negs" thing; you must take into account the current level when making assignments.

well, thats how i look at it anyway
    -8-

There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who dont.

Well, I certainly understand the concern, here - by everyone.

However, As I have learned, this isn't an objective or fair system, and I don't think it is supposed to be. In my case - check my negs - I made the mistake of participating in political threads and then speaking my mind. As a newbie that was a mistake, and I accept that. I'm not preaching here, just letting ya'll know what I've learned. As one person who gave me negs said - "You mistake AO for a democracy." I think that he meant - freedom of speech. If someone doesn't like your Avatar or the way you spell color/colour, then, wel,l the hammer can fall.

I really mean that I lament the fact that I wasted my exposure on political threads. As a newbie that means if my technical contributions are somewhat questionable - meaning not worded quite correcrtly - I'm going t get negs just for instructive purposes. And I accept that. I was REALLY upset about the system until I thought about it for a week, Then, I figured out that maybe it really does work. Yes, if i were to whine - as a newbie - yeah - I would expect to be banned - considerng I'm very close to that now. :-)

This is a good thread because it demonstrates to me that once you earn some positives and "graduate" to higher levels, then you get some slack. I think that is OK, too.

Banned
    ok one more thing that i got to say...... the reason most newbies would be flamed for complaining about antipoints is because most newbies post stupid **** and dont deserve antipoints, i would NEVER flame a newbie who actualy posted decent posts and deserved the antipoints he/she got.

I just dont agree with the way the system is at the moment, just because the post isnt "long enough" or with enough "usefull information" does NOT mean its NEGATIVE, and same goes for posative just because the person is your friend he/she SHOULDNT get greens for everything that they post. Again, im saying i think if he wants to keep the whole "balence is key" deal then he should make a "neutral" point that will help you balance your mete instead of having to give negs to people who dont deserve them.

I mean negative antipoints are made to seperate the helpfull people from the lamers right?? Well if we "balance" everyone out we will all be on the same level and it will be like we are back on page 1.
    I dont agree with most of you and i am going to back my opinion 100%.

And i got a Negative Antipoint from someone who did sign it today and i agreed with the way they did it, they didnt agree with me so they gave me a neg, thats 100% fine, but when i get a negative antipoiont saying "you have too much green, just evening it out" I really dont agree with that, especialy when its not signed.

Again, this is an opinion, and everyone is entitlded to one.

I don't think the balancing-thing as we know it is a problem anymore. Watching your "User tends to assign" bars I doubt any of you gets the bitching-message on the main page. If you get ap's with comments where word "balancing" exists it's most likely just because "stupid people giving you postives/negatives for no reason... rebalanceing it ".

*off to click the little "report" button to get this damn thread closed*
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25