Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Programming Language

Question First Programming Language

Before you let the negs fly, I'm not asking what's a first good programming language. I think that question has been asked enough times. I am curious though, as to what was the first programming language everyone here at AO learned.

My first language was QBasic. I know it's kind of sad but back then I thought it was pretty cool. "Hey look, I can make my text blink and change color." What can I say, when I was little simple things amused me.

QBASIC for me, too. Then VB.

heh... im not that old :/ I started out with the wonderful world of C

Q to VB

Yeah I went to Visual Basic after Qbasic too. Thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Then I installed linux and started programming in C/C++ and haven't looked back since.

I'm pretty young, but I started old school. PASCAL! YEAH! PASCAL is the best outdated language ever! Then I smarted up and learned C++.

Hmm, its not quite a language, but its a form of programming, I started out with Dos Batch Files, then learned HTML, Shell, and C, in that order, though ive got a long ways to go before I can say I'm proficient at C.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

The Iceman Cometh
    I first learned C++ during a summer before taking APCS in C++. Then I moved on to C and Pascal (figured I was learning programming anyway, so I took the old APCS Pascal class independent study with my C++ instructor). After a year or so, I started learning Java and VB. Now, 5 years later, I know way too many programming languages...

AJ

Yeah I started out with Qbasic, I remember I could create a block and move it with the A and S keys like a mini 2D game. I went on to Vbasic afterwards. Most of the Language nowadays are good, its up to you to use and learn them. I reckon c/c++ is a good one. Start off with a simpler languauge and than work your way up, say like Pascal, Java, or even Python, or you can just go ahead and learn c/c++..........
    The beginning is the end and the end is Only the beginning....
    CHOICE!

I started off with Qbasic, then moved on to C++ and then backtracked to Pascal. After that, a hold lot of programming languages started pouring in.

For me once you start, the others are easy to learn, because I picked up VB easily over two weeks one summer and learned a lot more there after...
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

I know that at my college, engineering students take an engineering programming class. For many it's their first exposure to programming languages and the language that they use is Fortran.