Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Software Piracy

Question Software Piracy

I am looking for a little information on a company, Buisness Software Alliance (BSA), concerning software piracy.

A client of mine received a letter from this company stating they were going to be a target of a software audit. They claimed they have 30 days to comply with all licensing issues as a grace period. If any help was needed they could offer service to help. At first glance it looks like a scare tactic to use their service to become compliant, but I am not for sure. I thought this would be the best group of people to ask.

I have attached a scanned image of the letter.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

What they are doing is a software piracy witch hunt. You don't have to comply with anything they say. The company is trying to garner funds by having you register software through them by offering a "grace" period. Don't let anybody bully you into fines or admition of guilt. BSA has no power in and of itself as they are not government funded or protected. This goes out to everyone don't let anyone bully your buisness around unless you the court issues a supena or the police have a search warent (which they are suppose to give you a copy of).
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

rnapro, if it were a real audit, the BSA would have not given the company a letter, but with the Marshalls and a BSA represenative without notice. However, the letter the company got is a bell they MAY be a target of a number of companies that may or not be under investigation, but the BSA has called the so-called "Truce Program" where companies within a target area might get legal before sweeps n' raids begin. Here is a link regarding the truce program: http://www.bsagrace.com/us/indexaugust2002.phtml

You see, most BSA raids stem from softlifting software, or installing or using more software (Adobe, Microsoft, Borland, Apple, etc) than a company has licenses to support. The call most likely came from a disgruntled employee who decided to call and report. So, it basically says you have one month to get legal...

This not a scare tactic. This is the real deal... man, I feel sorry for them

BSA has no real power. They can only sue and unless the person who "reported" the software piracy was the person who installed it. Anything he says is hearsay.
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

The BSA sends out these letters and also places Ads on the radio that it takes only one disgruntled employee to report your non-compliance. It is a scare tatic everything is down right now including software and this more or less is to scare private companys to run out and buy a bunch of software to make sure they are covered. When in fact at the whim of the EULA's they can change it at any time. Like any legal move thay have to notify properly before any legal action. Does everyone comply as far as the places I have worked for they make every effort but it takes a legal dept to even understand a EULA now days. One thing on any business side is most if not all can prove they acted in good faith and if they come knocking on your compny door legally may as well close the doors. Unsual tatic yes but the software industry is unchecked by any consumer laws this needs to change.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

i agree with zepherin 100% and if it were me id check my license compliance, get ready for a fight and tell them to ****-off. unfortunatly allot of companies are affraid it might cost them something, but freedom from tyrany allways does, even if its just effort.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

We're going through our lisence audit (internal) now. My boss told me that if you work with a compliance agency, BSA will let you go for something like an additional 6 months if you can prove you're working with someone to correct it.

Was your internal audit started by your company or an outside source?

I don't feel as if we are making any progress. There seems to be a couple of different opinions. I have read through BSA's web site and they seem like a real company but what their actual authority in software piracy laws I still don't know.

Hi mom!
    Although BSA does not have real power, it is illegal to use unlicensed software. What if some big company tries to make an example out of your company? My advice: try to get your licenses straight, and have the BSA verify your work. You could see them as some sort of free consultancy instead of bullies.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

rnapro, they are a real company with real agendas. Like I said in my reply, if it were a real audit to where they had real concern, they would have not sent you a notice and would have law enforcement, a warrant and a BSA represenative to see if you are legal.

When they sent you the letter, it was from the BSA and it was very real, however, it just said it was targeting a certain area and was giving businesses within that area to get legal in 30 days lest you MAY get raided... along with many other businesses within the area who MAY be the target of an investigation. But then again, it may not...

Now you had the question as to what kind of "power" they have in copyright law. Everybody is right.... none. They only represent the companies to be a gnat in law enforcement's ear, collect money and to be there for the audit. They bring law enforcement by with the warrant and to execute anything to be taken away in case there is rampant piracy going on...

If you are legal, then there is nothing to worry about. If you are not, get legal.

Sorry if I was not clear.