Thread: Project Fire-Hazzard... any ideas??

Lightbulb Project Fire-Hazzard... any ideas??

Hey everyone… I just wanted to tell you guys about a project I was thinking about doing. With this “project” I want to incorporate a very elaborate security system (e.g. hardware lock & key + software, I guess any off the shelf program will do) and make it completely original design for a computer system. -HEH- Ok here is where the crazyness begins… It started the day I was trying to fix my NES. I found out that a lot of old video game consoles stop working because the metal pins that come in contact with the game cartridge get bent up and away over time which stops the system/game from working. For example instead of the system slot looking like this

nnnnnnnnnnn
    UUUUUUUUUU

It looks like this

nnnnnnnnnnn
    UuuUUUnUnn

(The end of the game card will be sandwiched in between these pins ha or U’s I should say.
    Blowing on the end of the game cartridge can not fix this )

For more details about this go here http://www.classicgaming.com/feature...les/nesrepair/

Anyway… In the middle of trying to fix my console I forgot that I had to get some CD-Rs. There was this really cool deal going on 50 CD-Rs for 19.99 . So then I ran to the store thinking maybe they were all sold out but no “feew” the store had some left. Heh ok I am waiting in line to pay for my stuff when I looked down at the glass and saw a motherboard on display. I noticed it was small hmmmmm.. ……pause on account of me being slow……then BOOM! “Small enough to fit in my NES box” I said to my self. Instead of fixing my NES how about giving it a MEGA UPGRADE!! lol This would be the best case mod ever ha. You flip up the top flap of the NES and you will not see a slot to put in the game but a CD-ROM.

SO I got back home and looked at the NES case again and I realized the power supply, ram, vga to rca video card, hard drive, nic, fans, CD-ROM + the motherboard and so on would not fit all together but this is a easy problem to solve. I could just put a plastic panel in the middle of the two original case pieces to add room. Now I wanted to ask for your opinions on securing it and/or design tips & warnings. Heh for now I will call it “PROJECT FIRE-HAZZARD”. Do you people think I should paint the outside of it or leave it looking like a Nintendo so no one will even suspect it’s a computer. I guess its still a normal computer so putting BSD or Linux will fix the software side of things so maybe discussing how to implement a physical lock & key system will be sufficient. Well I might put XP pro on it to play games also. Is there a way of password protecting lilo or grub. Any ideas for this project will be greatly appreciated. I also want to know what you all think of this aaakarazy idea.

P.S.
    Picture this LOL my friend comes over. We are in my room and I ask him to put my Super Mario 2 cartridge in the NES. Then he smacks me for not wanting to play GTA3 or Metal Gear Solid 2 on my PS2. I jokingly call him a ****ing bitch lol and tell him to put super Mario 2 in now! He opens the flap of the NES and sees a Creative 12X DVD-CD-ROM faceplate. The look on his face will be priceless!!!!!!!

Banned
    I have seen this done a few times.... The latest one looked something like this...

It was nice, he used the original storage case to mount the extra gear in... If you remember the black cases that the NES, Games, and controllers went in...

If you have any questions or run into problems, I can supply images, and information from those on base who have perfomed this task. We have two on base that I know of.

Seems like a cool idea, I would leave it looking the NES because that would be even cooler!

Thumbs up

Thank you guys for your help [FB-Army] User & cheesegoduk. Its good to know that something like this has been done before and ya I think I will leave it to look like a NES good point... Here is a plan I made so you guys can see what I am talking about. The file was too big the first time I tried to upload it so I turned it in to a JPEG enjoy.. Thanx again...

How are you going to cool it? Or is that why its a fire hazzard?
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Cool lol

lol i will cut holes for fans in the back and side or 2 sides if there is room heh... I have this fan that plugs in where the PCI slots are so i can save space if i use that too.. lol Its fast heh it sucks air out like theres no tomorrow. Hopefully it will do a good job of fanning the fire ha.. So what do you guys think I should call the finished product? FH is a good name but if any of you come up with a better name let me know… NES 2.O, W.D.C.M. (weirdly designed computer mod), or Death Trap S.I. (smoke inhalation)

Call it The Inferno, and after it burns your house down you can call it SlagPile l337...

or how bout NES part Deux...

If I were to build this it would be a fire hazard...lol

I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I'm wondering how this is can be done when the NES IPX socket's aren't compatible with LCD point's and/or anything remotely toward a CD-ROM. The Nintendo Interface Network also has addressed that something like this would only fit well into a SNES due to the amount of RAM needed. A regular NES, In my theory and view's, isn't capable of being remotely like a computer, let alone a cd-player.

Sorry but I think the idea is creative and interesting but I can not see how it can happen. Good luck though!

Question WHAT?

I am putting a (SMALL COMPUTER MOBO) in an NES. Its just a mod so a COMPUTER can look like an NES. The old NES mobo will be in some other mod i will be making later on. The only way i will be able to play a Nintendo game on it after doing this is with an NES emulator....

I would just like to say that I will only download a rom if i already have the original game in the first place.... So thats the end of that....

Cool EPIA MINI-ITX

It took a long time but i found a Mother Board that will fit in the NES case + some room to put more stuff.

"Measuring just 170mm x 170mm, the VIA EPIA Mini-ITX motherboard is 30% smaller than the smallest Flex-ATX platforms, while maintaining Micro ATX chassis compliancy. The VIA Apollo PLE133 North Bridge features integrated graphics with 2D/3D acceleration and DVD Motion Compensation, accompanied by onboard SoundBlaster™ and SoundBlaster™ Pro compatible audio, delivering key multimedia capabilities. Onboard 10/100 LAN, TV-Out, an additional PCI slot, and a full set of I/O features provide ample connectivity and expansion options."

pic 1 top
    http://m6.hwgn.net/reviews/EPIA-800/miniITX_board.jpg

pic 2 side
    http://m6.hwgn.net/reviews/EPIA-800/miniITX_ports.jpg

pic 3 look at the size just over 6" by 6"
    http://www.via.com.tw/en/images/Prod...net/common.jpg

Here is some more info on the Via EPIA-800 mini-itx MoBo

VIA EPIA Mainboard Specification Standardized Embedded Solutions for Total Mainboard Connectivity Form Factor - Mini-ITX
    - 170mm x 170mm
    - Micro ATX Chassis Compliant Processor - VIA Eden™ ESP 5000 processor
    - 100/133MHz Front Side Bus
    - low power consumption
    - Optional Fanless
    - VIA C3™ E-Series processor (EBGA package)
    - 100/133MHz Front Side Bus
    - 128K L1 and 64K L2 cache Chipset - VIA Apollo PLE133
    - VT8601A North Bridge
    - Featuring integrated AGP 2X graphics
    - VIA VT8231 South Bridge TV-Out

- Integrated Macro Vision 7.01
    - High quality scaling and filtering
    - S-Video or Composite video output
    - Supports NTSC/PAL TV formats
    Main Memory - Two 168-pin DIMM memory sockets
    - PC100/133 SDRAM support LAN - VIA 10/100 Ethernet LAN onboard Graphics - Integrated AGP2X with 2D/3D Graphics Acceleration
    - Motion Compensation for DVD playback
    - VIP port for video overlay function Audio - VIA VT1612A AC'97 onboard
    - 3 Audio Jacks - Line-Out, Line-In and Microphone-In
    - Sound Blaster, Sound Blaster Pro Compatible
    - Digital I/O compatible with consumer mode S/PDIF Expansion Slots - ATA/100/66/33 Support
    - 1 PCI slots Onboard IDE - ATA/100/66 I/O Ports

- 3 Audio Jacks - Line-out, Mic-in and Line-in
    - Four USB ports (two USB ports located at rear side)
    - 1 EPP/ECP parallel port
    - 1 16C550 compatible serial port
    - 2 External PS/2 Compatible Keyboard /Mouse ports
    - 2 TV output ports (S-Video or optional RCA TV out)
    - 1 S/PDIF out (optional and multiplex with RCA TV out)
    - 1 RJ-45 LAN port
    - 1 PCI slot (Note: support for two PCI devices)
    Power Supply -ATX Power Supply Compliant

I am going to buy the case for the ITX power supply because you cant get that on its own.

My next post will be when everything is done. Thats when i will be getting deep in to the security side of things like a lock or a secret button that burns the hard drive to a crisp HA that should be fun to make! but that will be some time from now.