Thread: Environmentally safe computer?

The Iceman Cometh

Environmentally safe computer?

Full article can be found here
    NEC Solutions has launched the PowerMate eco, a fanless, ecologically sensitive desktop PC.

Some of the environmentally friendly computing features include the absence of boron in the CRT monitor and a motherboard made of lead-free solder, which allows for easier recycling of PCs.

NEC Solutions also claims the eco's plastic casing is 100% recyclable. It is made from a material called NuCycle, a polycarbonate resin mixed with flame-retardant silicone, company officials said.

The company started shipping the new PCs yesterday (5 August) through direct online sales and major resellers. A standard configuration will cost $1,599 (£1,037) for a 900MHz Transmeta. Crusoe Processor, a 15 inch. LCD display, 256MBytes of memory, a 20GByte hard drive, CD-ROM and either Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows 2000 Professional.
    The eco unit uses about a third of the power and generates about a third of the heat of a conventional desktop. Because it does not use a fan, the machine is quiet and does not blow dirty air into the environment, a potential problem for hospitals.
    Getting users to think of green computing instead of processor speed and hard disk capacity will be a "major challenge" for NEC, Gammage added.
    What do you guys think? Would you spend $1,600 for an evironmentally safe computer? Granted, I care about the environment as much as the next person, but I think for this to become feasible, all computer manufacturer's should adopt these techniques to build their computers. That way, large computer manufacturers, such as Dell, Compaq/HP, etc. could continue to sell low cost PCs which could later be recycled and/or thrown away with minimal impact to the environment.

AJ

What I want to know is how do they cool it if there is no fans?
    Interesting though.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

The Iceman Cometh
    Originally posted here by casper3699
    What I want to know is how do they cool it if there is no fans?
    As far as I remember (from what I read when it was originally in production) the Trasmeta Crusoe processor was originally designed for portable computers where size mattered. I believe it's much like the processors currently used in Compaq iPaqs and HP Jornadas, where they either have a very, very small fan, or no fan at all, relying solely upon ventilation. That information may be out-of-date, though...

AJ

It might also be using a heat sink that disperses the heat. That would be interesting though cause you wouldnt have to worry about your CPU fan dying and frying cause it got too hot.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

Banned
    If i could afford $1,600...then i would definitely buy it.

It said that:

The eco unit uses about a third of the power and generates about a third of the heat of a conventional desktop.
    In the long run, it would slowly pay for itself...due to all of the electricity that you would be saving on your electric bill. It would especially add up, for anyone that leaves their computer on for long periods of time.

I think that the efficiency arguement is great...I'm completely in favor of anything that is more efficient, but doesn't it disturb you all that this company felt the need to pander to the "environmentalist" nutjobs to somehow qualify their product? If you want to make something more efficient or cost-effective, then do it...but don't pander to the latest trends to sell it. That type of marketing really bothers me...but hey, more power to them if they can pump some money into the economy, even though it is gained by fleecing the fools that will buy anything if it says "99% MORE ENVIRONMENTLY FRIENDLY!!!" on it.
    Next thing you know, if I have followed the trends accurately, is a computer that will somehow prevent you from eating junk food while using it...in order to placate and entice the new "anti-Big Food" wackjobs.

Innovation for innovation's sake is great...but don't sell out to sell your product.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor