Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phreaking

phreaking

Hi pplz
    i have a question
    i have read several old txts on hacking and such and quite often they come to the subject of phreaking. i know what it is but is it possible to do things like red box still? i am pretty sure that the 2600hz tone wont work but i would like some pretty recent info on the phone systems if someone would be so kind

thanx for the help antionline-ers

Phone systems do vary from area to area and company to company. No, I don't think the 2600 thing has worked for a long time now

If you want some free advise, don't bother with phreaking. Most things on the Internet about it is incredibly dated.

I agree with jethro,

with all the broadband users nowadays phreaking is a bit outdated.

Mobile phreaking will propably catch on soon..
    But the normal "old fashioned" phreaking is not-done anymore..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    Actually Phreaking is still around its just that peaple are useing Clone Phones wireless PDAs & Laptops now instead of boxing phones.

Dont mess with those PBX
    Unix, Network Security Engineer

I have never used this but i recently read about some different boxes, and whether they still work or not. Apparently, red boxes (used to make free calls like in the movie hackers, or wargames) still work, but only on some phones. It can only be done on ACTS phones, not the newer COCOTs, card phones or Nortel Millenium payphones. If out of curiosity, you just had to try it then nothing i can say will stop you, but i wouldnt do it in a busy place. It looks suspicious walking into a phone booth, with a mp3 player or something and holding playing something into the mouthpiece. anyone who has half a brain will realize what you are doing.

The article i got this from was written in 2001, so this should still be true
    Darwin\'s rollin\' over in his coffin, The fittest are surviving much lest often,
    Now everything seems to be reversing, And it\'s worsening!
    --nofx, American Errorist

AFAIK, blue boxing does work in some countries still, however this number is gradually decreasing, and they are generally very poor countries (i.e. those who can't afford to upgrade their phones)

Also if you blue box a foreign phone via a "country direct" free number, there is a large amount of filtering and/or monitoring hardware/software (on the local high-tech end) on the lines, which increases the difficulty and risk.

It probably is possible, but few people can risk doing it.

Also cheaper internet calls and long distance (N. America) and international calls make blue boxing less worthwhile.

Of course some of the more "low-tech" types of phreaking still work perfectly well (beige boxing or whatever), but obviously these are nasty forms of physical-access hacking which you should be aware of.

Red boxing I have never heard of anyone doing successfully in my time

ring, right red, ridge. thats all you really need
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Try your luck with these sites:
    http://www.mobile.box.sk/
    http://www.phonelosers.net
    http://www.phonelosers.org
    http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp...ing/Phreaking/

I'm not sure what boxes work and what boxes don't, but the best way to find out is "trial and error". Good luck..

thanx for the info, as always, i knew i would get a lot of good input here