Thread: How! CPU with Television connection?

How! CPU with Television connection?

Hello All,
    well AO members, i need you Guys help on how i can do this!.
    1- I have a well set-up CPU(system unit) with a key Board and a Mouse, but here is my problem. I want ot connact my CPU to my televeision, so that my T.V. will act as the monitor, instead of me using the real (Dispaly Unit) .
    Now, we all know this- the mouse is connected to the CPU.(no problem on that)
    the keyboard is also connected to the CPU (no problem on that), and the CPU is the power source to the system, now my question is how am i gonna connect the T.V. with this system , since a T.V. dosent have a port/ power cale/data cable. so do i need to get a card to fix on my CPU, if yes, what card? also what slot?
    Also, is this Possible?, pls your advise really worth alot, i need a slow and full details on how to do this!
    I dont think it matters on what type of system am using, since this is a Different setting entire that should be able to work on any system.

Banned
    I'm pretty sure you're mixing some things up here, but I'll give it a shot:

if you want to connect your TV to your puter, you're going to need both a TV with an S-Video-input, and a graphics card with an S-Video-output. ATI's Radeons 7500 and 8500 both come with such on output. The Radeon 7500 is a cheap AGP card that should do everything you're looking for.

Don't expect too much of the quality though. You'd be cheaper off just selling your TV and buying a decent monitor...

Edit: PS: this is like your 5th account and you still don't know what forum to post your questions in...

Also please don't refer to your computer as 'CPU' ... if we use common sense we know what you mean, but it just helps us understand more. Negative did a nice job explaining, all you need to buy is a video card that has S-Video Out. If you're TV doesn't have S-Video in, you can be an adapter that is S-Video to RCA for like $8 on eBay, and Radio Shack probably sells them.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Ok this might come across as a dumb question...but have you seen those S-video connector cables??They're about as long as my palm And I havent seen any ones longer than those...so how would one go about connecting them. (Have done it with a laptop, but a desktop?? Please no flames )
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Although Negative has given you the "best quality" method.. (using the S-video )
    S-video cables can be quite expensive and of course you may not have s-video inputs
    on your TV.. some video cards also have RCA outputs.. and your TV will usually have
    RCA inputs. If it doesn't.. you could get an RF modulator but this will further degrade
    your signal..

imo, money spent on a decent monitor for your computer.. is money well spent indeed

Old Fart
    I'm agreeing with negative here...the larger moniter is the way to go. 21" moniters start at $410.00 at www.pricewatch.com . If you go the 's-video' out method, and your TV doesn't have s-video, then you're stuck getting a converter to RCA . If you have to convert further and go with composite, then by all means at least get a signal booster...that will lessen the effect of the conversion somewhat.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    RF is a bad choice because the images will sometimes be to dark & not to mention your screen will be very fuzzy.

hey Guys, thanks alot.
    Neg, y do i have to sell off my T.V. just to buy a decent monitor? hey Neg i did try that but the quality was damm ****ing poor!! and low.
    but anyway, thanks.

Banned
    You'll never have the same quality on a TV than you can get on a monitor...
    If you set your video-mode to something like 600*800, the quality should be acceptable.
    If I were you, I'd just sell your tv, buy a decent monitor and a TV-capturing card (25 bucks)...

Banned
    i agree with neg about the tv card, but dont sell your tv cause then you have to boot your puter just to flick thru the chanels only to see that theres nothing on.

also, in the UK wehave a TV tax..... its really stupid, basicly its cause the BBC dosnt abvertise they taxus to make up for it. so if you have a TV at all you have to get this TV license every year........ its total BS really. any way, nobody really looks for a TV card in a puter as my step dad found out for the last..... 4-5 years..... so, no tax for us..... tho we got a real TV now so we gotta pay again, damnit!