Thread: Geeks in government: A good idea?

Geeks in government: A good idea?

Lots going on today here are some things as geeks some of the right and wrong ways to do things Good reading and lots of links provided in the story.
    http://news.com.com/2010-1071-949275.html
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Gee I though Al (I invented the internet) Gore was bad news.

I see this as a case of Hollywood doing the self proctological thing. If these laws were around when the VCR was first introduced just think how much money those idiots would have lost.

I am reminded that if the Indians wrote better manuals the center of the software universe would be in the Asian world rather than ours. It won't take long for another technology to be pissed away to a country that actually gets the point.

good read ..... i think coders should stick to coding software like the article says but to be oblivious to the laws wouldnt be very smart either. everyone computer user should be aware of these laws. how these laws and future laws are and will affect them. a major thing people should get into is supporting organizations such as the electonic freedom foundation. these are the guys and girls who are fighting on the front lines for us . i personally support the EFF . without organizations like these we would be really helpless against anything the gov't tries to force on us. i say code your hearts out but dont be ignorant get informed and be active in these issues. maybe writing your congressman or woman might not have that much effect but someone had to vote him/her into office and with so many computer users who are registered voters it makes me wonder how the people get into office. voting isnt just pulling a lever find out who your voting for. where they stand on the issues and make a well informed decision ..

Well some how this thing called the WEB is some sort of magic and it is not, there are no special laws that must be passed. Look at the Corp wasteland now, dah pure and simple. So what laws are there minus the fluff of the WEB? Called racketeering, the mob controle booze, drugs, prostution, gambling. The mob makes people pay everyday just to do business to live their life and you never know their terms cause they always change to their advantage or now days it is called a EULA. Live and work in MY area you will pay if you do not BSA, and all these CORPS will take away your business, your way of making a living, put you in jail. Do not think the WEB is any different then any other product, service or business. What software corps are doing is strong arming the public and entire countiries, you give us our money or you are no more. A computer is a tool and a bunck of corps now want their payoff when you boot up the system is call DOT NET. There are laws that apply already and what needs to happen is people in office need to understand there is no magic, a computer is no different then a saw a hammer any tool it is a tool I but a saw from Stanly or B&D is mine do I pay a fine cause I don;t by their blades? Nonsense laws are in place software is not above a screw driver or the screw, what they have done is fool law makers and in that process screw America and many parts of the world. SOFTWARE is a tool and me I've never will pay protection money. Is a RACKET and the BSA is the strong arm break your knee caps bully. No more Corp Racketeering I say.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg