Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: packets to bytes?

Question packets to bytes?

The Win2k Series and WinXP as well I believe. Everyone probably knows how to turn on the little system tray icon of network activity. All it does is blink during packets sent/receive. No big deal, just was wondering since I have a system with two network cards in it why one monitor shows me total packets (6,000 sent/ 8,000 receive) and another shows me total bytes (2,323,522 bytes sent/ 5,234,221 bytes received).
    I really like seeing total bytes rather than packets, but am at a lost at how to switch it. I've looked over the web, even Microsoft's knowledge base. Is this something that is done by the driver installation or is it a reg hack or GUI configuration? The total bytes, helps me spot any strange activity (example, sending 10GB of data a day when the norm is only 10MB)

Actually you should be asking how many bytes to a packet, do some research on TCP/IP and a basic thing is very real bytes make a packet and a packet cannot make a byte. And now I'm hungry Uh oh late lunch.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Whenever running across stats like this, I usually just multiply the number of packets by the MTU. No, it isn't exactly accurate, but it does give you a worst case analysis of how much data was transmitted. This of course basically assumes that all of the packets are the same size and that with the exception of perhaps the beginning/end packets, and that most of them will be around the MTU (your maximum transmission unit) or the largest available packet size (your computer stats should be oblivious to if the packet had to be further fragmented).

Would be curious to know if anyone had any better ideas...

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

Basic idea there are so many bits to a Byte, so many Bytes to a Packet and the level 56k, 128k etc independent of MTU are constant. So install a packet sniffer to see the Bytes and then other software to see the bits. Question seems to be of the transport layer?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Originally posted here by Palemoon
    Basic idea there are so many bits to a Byte, so many Bytes to a Packet and the level 56k, 128k etc independent of MTU are constant. So install a packet sniffer to see the Bytes and then other software to see the bits. Question seems to be of the transport layer?

I dont follow...

Is why you have more to learn, bits, bytes, packets are just that stuff of the transport layer, go figure and humm can even apply to other layers. Others here that will ageee on your quote Sudo, the question was not real clear and the order well was reversed in the original question, nap time get back here when I can, I'm happy happy happy <----Seee

the suggestion to use the mtu is the best advice without monitoring and establishing statistics for normal traffic. the reason being is that virtually every packet is going to be of a differing lengths. in some cases you are going to "max-out" with every packet during a transaction (ie. downloading a file). by using the mtu you can get a guaranteed ceiling for the amount of traffic...but it may be significantly high for a realistic valuation.
    -droby10

OK Everyone is missing the point and knightmb I want to know too. If you look at the system tray ICON the default is listed in packets. I have seen system where when you point on to the ICON (in the system tray) ( we are not talking math here) you get byte sent and received rather then packets. I have seen this too thought it was nice to be listed that way rather then packets. but have not had a chance to research it. He not talking math here with MTUs ect. it is a software configuration in M$
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Talking bytes

Well i dunno bout you but my winXP pro has what u are looking for

it just tells in bytes how much, when I hover over it with my mouse..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I did understand the question, I in fact have the same problem. I have seen some that reports bytes sent and others that report packets and I was passing on what I use when I need some kind of a byte translation. I would suspect that it is probably the driver for your NIC that is making the determination of which statistic is used, and since I don't know of a way to change the stat reported by the icon, I suggested something else to try that could give you the same information.

Looking around in the registry under HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP, it seems there is a performance category that references a library (perhaps that is the culprit?). This reminded me, there are performance monitors that come with Win2k/XP that will allow you to grab TCP/IP stats (Performance under Administrative Tools). Click the + sign and chose network interface, there are several different options there that all measure bytes/second, is that good enough?

There was also a little tool I saw mentioned on techtv that was kinda neat:
    http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network.htm

The netstat live gives you a graphical representation of the amount of data you are sending/receiving and a running total of how much you have used.

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)