Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Notepad all files instead of .txt?

Notepad all files instead of .txt?

If there away when notepad loads to change the file name textbox from .txt to *.* so when notepad starts I don't have to change the box to view all files? I'm using Windows XP Pro I thought there might be away to do it in the registry but not sure how. I just hate everytime it loads having to change the Filetypes textbox to All Files.
    Good Grief

The Iceman Cometh
    I realize this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but it'll be an easy temporary solution. whenever I need to open a file in Notepad that's not a .txt extension, I open notepad and simply drag and drop the file into the Notepad window. It then immediately opens the file in text format and I don't have to worry about going to File | Open | change the extensions, etc.

As far as I know, what you're asking isn't possible. I don't think it's a registry issues, it's the actual executable that defaults to that. If you're looking for a solution, you may want to look at some Notepad alternatives to find what you're looking for.

AJ

You can alway do an open with also i you are running W2K or XP... Right clicking the file to open choosing open with from the context menu...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Another was is by file associations, if you want to open files that are .txt like say ini, bat, scr etc. Open Windows Explorer, goto the View then Folder Options, after that goto the File Types Tab and then scroll throug the extensions and for those you wish to open with Notepad simply pick it as the always open with option.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I just want notepad to open and not already have *.txt as the filename and "Text Documents(*.txt) in the Files of types textbox . Or when you already have notepad open and you do ctrl + o . It just gets annonying to have to change it all the time. I didn't know if it was possible to change like with a regedit hack or somthin so it does it automatically.

Give me an hour I'll make a special notepad. And put it up for download
    Good Grief

I do know what you mean but,
    I wouldn't have thought it to be possible.
    Still I don't see it to be that much of a problem, but I see where you're coming from.

-prankster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

i think what she means is the combo box menu for the types of files to search when your opening files. although... i don't think there's a simple way to change that...it's probably hard-coded in... maybe... edit it some way?
    -[h3llbringer] is back, again.
    -MSN CLoNE.

July is talking about how in notepad when you open a file (CTRL-O), the File Name is defaulted to *.txt and they File Type is defaulted to Text Documents (*.txt). What I think July wants to do is change those default settings to another value. Im guessing you want them to default to File Name *.*( or left blank ) and File Type to be All Files.
    Notepad allows you to create and open documents in several different formats: ANSI, Unicode, big-endian Unicode, or UTF-8. These formats allow you to work with documents that use different character sets. By default, your documents will be saved as standard ANSI text.
    July: I do believe this is possible, maybe through some exterior plug-in or something, or some registry hack. I have not been able to find additional info on this but I have a secondary action you may take.

Open: Windows Explorer
    Open: <Full Path where file is> //The file you want opened
    Hold: Shift+Right_Click
    GoTo: Open with... //Next option under 'Open'
    Select: Notepad

Your file will be opened in Notepad as a text file ( Unless too big, then, transfered to Word ). I hope that this helps any problems you were having.
    .::nataS is WaTchiNg::.

So in other word you find it annoying to select the all files from the combo box everytime you have to open a file that is not a .txt file... OK I guess there is some practical reasoning you have behind this becuase I just don't user notepad "that often" that I would find it annoying, but hey we each have our preferences right. Anyway, I do not think it is possible unless made you remove the file associate for notepad to .txt extension (That might work) but then whenever you have a .txt file it will not open automatically in notepad. The reason I don't think it will work is becuase of the basic file associations for the application. txt is the default character set that is used hence it is what it looks for. If you remove the file associate it might default to *.* Just my 0.02 worth...again...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

The Iceman Cometh
    I've done some research, both online, in various references I have and looking at Notepad itself and am thoroughly convinced that defaulting to *.txt is hard coded within Notepad itself. Numerous sources discuss trying to changed this, not necessarily within Notepad, but other programs, and they all discovered that the values are hardcoded into the executable. The only way to change the default would be to A) Decompile the executable, change it, recompile it and hope it works or B) use a hex editor and change the value, once again, hoping that it works. The most sensible choice would be to either get used to it, or not use Notepad as much. How often do you actually use Notepad? All I generally use it for are some small txt files and a few source files I use for programs I have written. You may want to look into another program, such as EditPlus, which gives you more options and greater control over what files you can open.

AJ