Thread: Bizzare installation LINUX????

Bizzare installation LINUX????

Hi....guys..
    I just bought my new laptop toshiba 1800 series and I'had already installed MANDRAKE LINUX 8.2 and..that was cool.and succesful...but after that I've tried to installed RED HAT LINUX 7.2 and the installation was not succesfully because RED HAT LINUX 7.2 won't recognised my VIDEO CARD(Trident Cyber Blade)....the X configuration/Xscreen won't come out..that was confusing because I can installed MANDRAKE but I couldn't installed RED HAT LINUX in my laptop/same laptop???that bizzare isn't..
    I've already figure out of X configuration but..with no success whatsoever..

Any one can help me out?????..pleasee

For The RH Linux Installation, it's easy then then the M. Linux. You can reconfigure your Video card on using Xconfigurator of a different session for ex. (Ctrl F2) then, type the root login and the PW, finaly you can run th Xconfigurator, and change the Video properties.

No, it's not strange. The distros don't have support for the same drivers. On my Fujitsu-Siemens laptop I can run neither Suse 8.0 nor Red Hat 7.2 out of the box. I suppose if I spend some time downloading & reconfiguring I can get them workin. But why would I want to do that when Mandrake 8.2 works just fine. Less hassle is always better!
    ---
    proactive

The RH Linux recognize the Trident Card, but it can't configure it automaticaly, so you can do it manualy, as I've said.

try downloading the latest xfree86 package and see if it has drivers for your video adapter. Or you could just stick with Mandrake...

Red Hat 7.2 is not the most recent version, and it includes an older version of XFree86. Red Hat 7.3 is curent and is contemporary with Mandrake 8.2. I would try 7.3 instead of 7.2 and see if the newer XFree makes a difference.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I've had quite the opposite on my Dell Inspiron... When I first got into Linux a I tried Mandrake 8.1, it didn't want to recognize my modular drives at all, and there were a few other little problems to which I can't recall.

Redhat 7.2 worked just fine. However with both I have always had to download the nVidia drivers with lynx, install them, and reconfigure my XF86Config - which was a hassle at the time for a newbie and probably was my first encounter with the console, but it's a breeze now.

Just keep in mind any distro should work just fine with enough time and effort, laptops are tricky and take a little bit more patience.