Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help linux is getting on my nerves

help linux is getting on my nerves

hello
    i am working in my cpu with 2 partitions an 1 hard drive linux red hat have been installed by a friend of my mom and she (stupid dumb) forgot to ask how does it worked. i want to know how it is supposed to work after you type login root and pw

thank u

life is like an endless pit where we all fall and the death with her deadly spikes cover the edges to take us off.
    -me

Go here: http://www.linuxdot.org/nlm/
    When you get to that login and after you have logged in. That is Linux. It is command line driven. To learn how to use it or to start X follow the above link. If you want it "Windows" style. You need to start one of the X-windows gui. Or one of the window managers gui's like KDE or Gnome.
    Look here fore KDE: http://www.kde.org/
    Here for Gnome: http://www.gnome.org/
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

thanks but how do i install gnome in my partition of linux cuz i am using windows

What exactly are you trying to do? If you have Linux and Windows installed you should have LILO or another bootloader to come up during boot and ask you witch OS you want to use. I f it only boots to Windows then you should have a Linux boot disk to start Linux up with. You did make a Linux boot disk did'nt you? If you did the default RedHat install, you already have Gnome and KDE as well as a few other managers. As I said. When you get the login for Linux and you log in. You are in Linux. Linux is DOS like in that it is command line. All you will have is a prompt if you did'nt set it to start X-windows at boot when you did the install.

Go here for info: http://www.redhat.it/support/docs/fa...l_faq/FAQ.html

To enable X to be running at boot time, and you using the xdm to log in, you need to change the file /etc/inittab.

Edit your /etc/inittab file. Replace this line:

id:3:initdefault:

With this one:

id:5:initdefault:

Go to the link I gave you before and read up on it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

well i read but here is the problem i can boot ether on linux and on windows still if i downlod gnome i can only do i with windows how do i install it on linux if it is on windows

thanks in advance

hey as a fellow linux newbie i know your pain on this one. I must say that {P²P}Apocalypse has given you some really good info and urls to trust him on that one. Some other good links I found were
    www.linuxnewbie.org - great forms for the new to linux people out there, lots of help
    http://www.tldp.org/ - great for linux projects, lots of howtos and detailed infomation
    IRC - yes, IRC is a great learning tool, there are lots of channels out there with the purpose of helping people. Look at irc.antionline.com they have a linux channel aswell

sorry thats all I can think about now, hope this helps

You don't download Gnome and load it from windows. If your "Windows is on FAT32 then you can mount the partition in Linux as V-Fat and access it. So you can download the tarballs in windows then boot to linux and then access the V-Fat partition and untar it and do a make yadda, yadda, yadda. But like I said. If you did a default install of RedHat you already have Gnome on your HDD with Linux. RedHat does Gnome as it's default unless you tell it to use KDE or another one. If you did'nt install it. It's on your RedHat CD. You need to do a lot of reading before you go any more into Linux. Trust me on this. You don't seem to comprehend what I'm telling you. Please go to the links I gave you and read. As this forum is not the place to do an in depth into Linux. Also check out the tuts section of this site.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!

I have a good solution for your problem: Stop using Linux, with all it's newfangled "power-user-friendly" features and buy a mac!

Heh, just take the advice of our good friend the cookie-monster-punguin, p2p-a, and load gnome in linux.
    Hic ego barbarus, sum quillo non intelligor illis.
    Because they do not understand me, I am a barbarian.

well i took the advices of apocalypse and read and printed ALOT so io have found that red hat wich i was running had gnome my only problem now is to find a way to load it cuz when i try loading any of the executables using "exec" command it ends in a logout so how am i supposed to deal with this thaks in advance

All you have to do is type startx from the command
    prompt. This should take you where you want to go.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.