Thread: From WinNT to Win2k

From WinNT to Win2k

I've an old PII, 333MhZ, Dell machine. Its from an old comp lab, that management upgraded and replced the PIIs with better stuff. Okay., this was running WinNT. And I installed Win2k over it removing NT. But while booting the system, I still get a boot menu giving me options between Win2k and WinNT. When selecting the latter., the system hangs.. Win2ks running fine though.
    So, umm, I guess, the NT loader is still there. How do I get rid of it!?
    Thanks for help ppl.

-Insanity

Under the C:\ Drive is a file called boot.ini (it might be hidden I forget). This is what displays the list when you select the OS. You can simply delete what you do not want to show. Then once you reboot you won't have NT anymore.

Alternatively, you can right click on My Computer, and go to properties. Then click on the Advanced tab. Then click on Startup and Recovery. The first checkbox you see says: "Display list of OS's fo x amount of seconds." Well you can just uncheck this box so it will not display any operating systems.

Let me know if this helps

it is hidden, and read only too

ah.. Thanx Sgt_B.. edited boot.ini file.. and it worked fine. The other method of checking off that box in 'My computer"--> properties.. it worked fine too.
    And Paul., the file wasn't read-only..

Thanx a lot...

Glad I could help!