Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me before i kill this computer.

i found all of the others but cant find the address book.( we have the whole hard drive copied to another hard drive so we can play with the files.)
    I found them in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{310811FF-5D3C-47E8-963C-5A4F116067D0}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    On my server it has contacts on a data base but not on the win2k pro box there isnt one.
    Thanks for all your help alittlebitnumb and everybody else.
    Please keep the help coming.

Originally posted here by X=-FakeBoy-=X
    This may be off the subject, but I had a cooling problem where I would get a system up, and it would run for a couple seconds and either freeze or reboot. Unless I left it down for a couple minutes, every time I would reboot it would self reset. Is this similiar to your problem?
    kinda but it is only doing this to me on booting the OS. I am reinstalling now and it has been up and hasent restarted or froze yet.
    My thought that it might be hardware detection and something during that faze kills it.

hey all. I got it to work now it seems like it was only the OS decided to blow up. Thanks for everyones help.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

My suggestion would be to check the RAM. I've had almost the exact same error on my overclocked T-Bird when I cranked the FSB up too high for the RAM. If Windows gets a memory error like that during boot-up, it will spontaneously reboot. Linux, however, was perfectly stable except for the odd gcc segfault when compiling...... go figure.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Yeah, I'll stick with problemchild's post and say to check the RAM. I too had a cooling problem but it was fixed and was sort of similiar to this problem.

Now that I am working in Win2k now (I like the OS ), the address book is here:

X:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

I found them in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{310811FF-5D3C-47E8-963C-5A4F116067D0}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    That path seems strange. Is that a server value? Just a inquiry.

casper what haas changed with the system? If nothing has changed, how old is the hard drive? I could be memory as everyone is stating but in the last 8 years I have only seen one bad memory module. And once ram was working it seem to just work. It may slao be a bad sector onthe hard drive which is causing a boot failure. If there is a critical file localed in that sector it could just go south. Reloading the OS will/should correct issues with booting. Are you able to boot the system for a boot disk or with a bootable cd-rom. if you are that would lead me to believe it is not a memory issue. since you are starting the boot process again it is something that is loading (or not loading, bad sector) that is causing it to stop
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer