Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win2k dual network card trouble

Win2k dual network card trouble

setting up a firewall i have two nic's (realtek 8139 or something its at home im at work) and (linksys lne100tx) the linksys is connected to my cable modem and the realtek is on the local connected to my lynksys router/used as switch problem is the linksys wont get an ip it keeps using the bogus 164. one and the lights on cable modem just blink maybe those cards dont work well together? anyone that can help please .

Ok..
    first make sure that your cable is connected (check for the link light)
    second i would try to reset the modem so it can get the right mac address from your NIC.

I would try that first!

Banned
    Did you bridge the connections?

i have reset my modem a couple of times. all lights come on but the cable light blinks .
    acid please elaborate.

are you sure you have link between the devices. It sound like you are using dhcp to assing an ip address to the nic that is attached to the network. as a recomendation this should be a static ip assignment. this is going to be your gateway for your network and a dhcp assingment can change. Not that it will but it could. Not sure if this is your situation but it is a recomendation. have you check the cables and know they are good? there just isn't much information here to go on so just shooting in the dark...
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

hmm i belive my problem is the fact that the nic card connected to my cable modem is not working both nics have been in machines by themself but not together i tryed to get them to work on my linux box but i couldent even get the light to come on . now in my win2k box they come on . but its not connecting . lights are on and the bios sees them now at least just cant get it to grab ip from cable modem .

two things--

one being that i found when doing ICS with win2k was that's it's VERY important to NOT have a default gateway set for the NIC that is connected to the LAN. The external (Cable modem side) network should be setup normally. Just don't input the default gateway in for the internal NIC. Or you could actually go through the ICS wizard which will setup these settings and skip the DFG on the internal nic for you.

the other being that a friend of mine told me that his cable modem setup required inputing the mac address of his linksys router into the modem. Now, i don't know how this was done. But i do know that it's not all that uncommon. You might want to call your isp and tell them that you changed computers and can't get the new one to get an ip.. they may tell you that this needs to be done and tell you how..

if neither of these help.. sorry.. i work better hands on.

Did you use a crossover cable between the modem and your firewall?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Thaks g00n that sounds like something to checkout im at work now but ill check that at home im pretty sure they just use the mac of my cable modem on my isp side but still good help thanks a lot.

no crossover cables

thanks for the help everyone

I meant it like most/many cablemodems require a crossover cable...

How was your cablemodem connected before? Right into your linksys router?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss