Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israeli firm unveils the 'copy-proof' CD

Israeli firm unveils the 'copy-proof' CD

An Israeli security firm has developed a smart-card based copy protection technology that it claims can prevent software piracy.

The technology, called OpSecure from start-up firm Doc-Witness, features a smart card embedded within an optical disc, which can run on conventional PC CD or DVD drives.

However the embedded smart card, which is needed to decrypt the disc's content, will frustrate any attempts to copy the disc.

According to Doc-Witness, OpSecure provides a solution that solves the four aspects of software piracy: copying, sharing, counterfeiting, and faking IDs.

Burnt or replicated copies will not work, according to Doc-Witness, which says instructions on the smart card prevent software been installed on more machines than intended.

The company said the technology is impracticable to crack since it is hardware based and based on dynamic protection, rather than more easily defeat software or remote activation techniques.

That much remains to be seen, since the technology is yet to deployed commercially. OpSecure is designed to be easily implemented on traditional CD ROM / DVD ROM replication lines, however pricing of the technology will be another key factor in its success in the market.
    The Power Of Your Imagination:

Could you please post a source for us so we can look into it in more depth.

Thanks.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

You can check with http://www.doc-witness.com
    The Power Of Your Imagination:

Interesting site. Thanks again.......
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

I dont think this is a viable option for music cd's because it takes away our right to have multiple copies of the music that we buy. In fact there was recently a class action law suit brought on agains american record giants for just this reason.

The five major record companies have been hit with a class-action lawsuit charging that new CDs designed to thwart Napster-style piracy are defective and should either be barred from sale or carry warning labels.
    See whole article
    Darwin\'s rollin\' over in his coffin, The fittest are surviving much lest often,
    Now everything seems to be reversing, And it\'s worsening!
    --nofx, American Errorist

Well, interesting idea, although their site doesn't give any real data.
    However I thought this quote (from their site) was significant:
    "It is impracticable to crack since it is hardware based and is based on dynamic protection"
    Well, I think most of us have heard that one before ...... (so what if it is H/W based, and perhaps dynamic protection means they use different keys).
    Also of interest is the fact that they seem to be saying it is crackable, but most people wouldn't bother?!

its only a mater of time before someone finds a way to hack or redesign a software to over ride that one....But its a start and a great thought

This will IMO be good for the software side of the house. I am one who thinks that if piracy is stopped prices will be able to come down. As we all know, this will not fly with consumers on the music side of the house. I feel that I need to be able to mix my CDs and that as a consumer when I buy a music CD I own it. And there seems to be no real content in that article. They are smart in saying that it is "impractical" to crack. This will help avoid setting somone off and devoting themselves to cracking their tech. All in all we will have to stand by and see how they are really going to implement this in to everyday life.
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

This wont last long, I suspect the "Card's" data will be used to decrypt the CD, then the Decrypted version if burn't over to normal CD's.....
    Nothing Last's forever in the IT world.
    Just my Opinion.... Look at DVD-Jhon

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

I heard of a new device, or software(im not sure) that will record anything played over sterio speakers to mp3's Wouldn't this (im assuming its a device) render any copyprotected cd invalid? Basically, all a person would need to do is plug this device into a stereo jack and voila...they have an mp3 Has anyone else heard of this.....I forget where i read it or i would post a link (sorry)
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.