Hi.
I"ve had a problem with installing Red Hat Linux 7.2 on my PII, 333Mhz (288MB RAM). I installed a new hard disk, a 40GB Western Digital Caviar. As I had an old BIOS that didn't allow me to see all 40GB, I used the EZ-Bios overlay. My machines running Win2k with dedicated 30 Gig partitioned into two drives. I left out 8GB of unallocated space for linux.
Now when installing it, I can't select "Automatic Partitioning"; it says "Inconsistent Free Space".,. and switches me over to Disk Druid. Looking at the disk details in Druid, there is some minute free space (<1 MB) just before my window partitions C and D. So my first question is
a) How come these pockets of free space?
When partitioning the free space into swap (300MB - hda4), /boot (54MB - hda3) it works but with some warnings. But when I'm committing the rest of the 8Gig to /root, I get the error "Could not allocate requested Partitions. Unable to create partition which extends beyond the end of the disk"... HUH!?? The space is there, I can see on Disk Druid, but can't allocate my /root partition.
b) So what am I doing wrong? And is it necessary to put the /boot partition on hda1? Thats already taken up with Win2k.
Would be very grateful for any help coming thru..,.. thanx a lot
-Insanity