Thread: .NET server?

Question .NET server?

not sure if this is the correct forum for this but…

is anyone out there running MS .NET server?
    i have tried to install three different sound cards (SoundBlaster, SoundBlaster Live and a Phillips card) and none of them work with .NET???
    when i was running XP on the same box i had no problem installing the SB Live or the Phillips card.
    i would like to be able to run .NET but the silence is driving me crazy!!!
    any suggestions other than the obvious (load LINUX)?

-thx

Banned
    Hmmm, .Net is an experimental architecture..... (Its like running a winmodem in linux) The .Net drivers probably wont be out for a while since servers dont need sound cards to function =P

Do you have the RC1 release?

in fact it is the RC1 install,
    and unfortunately i agree with your comment about servers not running any audio.
    i have been playing around with this on one of my boxes and cannot stand the lack of audio!!!

Banned
    Also, Try the XP drivers found here after alll, .NET server is just XP with a few registry changes =)

yup! those are the drivers i have used.
    here is the best part…
    there is a Creative Labs driver update available from Microsoft for .NET Server but when i run it (even though i have driver signing set to “ignore”) the OS will not execute the update.

ya got to love MS!

i suppose this is why they call it beta testing???

Banned
    LOL, Only with Microsoft =)

Did you try to extract the drivers and install from the .inf

Try checking out the soundblaster site, when I setup 2k, my card didn't do nothing until I found out my driver was not compatible. ANd if .net is xp with a few changes, well, xp is built on the 2k kernel so give it a try. Goto their site, or try getting generic drivers, they can work well sometimes.

The Iceman Cometh
    I upgraded two of my Windows 2000 servers to .NET server this week (that's why I haven't been around too much lately... playing around with the new systems). Neither of them have sound cards (both are Dell PowerEdge 2500s). I did, however, install it on a worktstation as well, which has a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 card and it worked without too much of a problem. For both servers, I just upgraded from Windows 2000 to .NET (I was planning on formatting, but didn't want to have to go through the trouble of reapplying my policy settings, AD, etc. from another server). Neither had any problems with any of the hardware, but neither really has any extraneous hardware to begin with. My workstation, however, did have some issues with certain features, including the sound card. For the install, I formatted the workstation, and did a clean install, using WinPE to set up the system for a remote install via one of my new .NET servers. Once it was installed, I noticed that some of the hardware didn't work. To resolve the issues, I simply uninstalled the pre-installed drivers, and installed the XP drivers. For my sound card, the driver installed properly, but I was still not getting any sound. I then asked one of my employees (she's awesome when it comes to troubleshooting hardware and driver problems) to help me out and she made some changes within the XP driver files, and it all works absolutely great. Altough it works, if you're using .NET server as a real server, there's absolutely no need for any sounds... if you're using it as your primary OS on your workstation, I would recommend sticking with 2000 or XP Pro, as a server OS is only going to be more difficult to set up and secure than one of Microsoft's workstation operating systems.

AJ

thanks for all of the advice guys!
    i have .NET on one of my workstations. i am just playing around with it.
    the system recognizes the hardware as a Creative SB Live, but when i try playing any sounds or music it tells me that there is no audio hardware available.
    in Device Manager it shows up as working properly with no conflicts. i have even changed slots on the systemboard to see if that made a difference.
    anyway…
    i will try loading a more generic driver.

thanks again for the help!