Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Possibly screwed up hdd.

er0k,
    [1] Use a low-level format utility to completely erase the disk
    (Search Google for one made by the HDDs manufacturer)
    [2] Partition it and format it using a boot disk with newish fdisk and format (FAT32 capable, i.e. not a Win95 boot disk)
    [3] Run scandisk with a surface scan & enable the check bad sectors option
    [4] Get a Norton Ghost or equivalent (Nero hard drive backup?) image from a system known to work, and image it onto the HDD rather than installing 98 directly
    [5] If these fail, check the hdd in other machines and check if its other hardware causing the problem
    [6] failing that, try a different OS (linux) to see if it is an isolated problem with Windows 98n only (in which case, try 95 or something else (Windows 3.11!!??, DOS6.2, Windows NT?)

Hope at least some of that helps!
    One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.
    (The Lord Of The Rings)
    http://www.bytekill.net

Just to add to Rewandythal's list.

[7] Check the installation media.. Things like this can happen if the media (disk's or cd) are bad or if the fdd or cd-rom is in bad condition..
    [7.1] Try to change installation media and see if that helps.
    [7.2] Try to change the drive (fdd/cd) you use for installation against another drive you know works.

~micael

If the drive's a Maxtor or quantum you could try running the Maxtor's Maxblast utility to diagnose the drive... (Other drive manifacturers usually also have such utilities)...

Besides that, like the others said, could you describe more precisely how/what makes you say that dll files go missing?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

er0k
    Well ill post what i know, even though itll get negged and i wont be able to post anymore, but screw that i need to fix this. Whenever we reinstall win98, with each and every disk, it loads up a screen after install that says cannot find yada yada.dll, and gives like a million of those screens. Constantly, and we have even sat there forever clicking skip this and there is always another screen. I think the problem is that there is a bad partition on the drive, and we need to run a dos boot disk, fdisk it and then format. But that probably wont work either, ill try some of the other stuff on here if that doesnt work. Thanks for tha help.

I had a problem similar to that....all of a sudden my computer wouldn't boot...(windows ME), and I tried rebooting, reinstalling, formatting, etc., and it turns out that the memory I bought a few months back went bad...I guess cuz it was cheap or somethin. Loaded linux instead and no problems since. (No blue-screens either! lol)
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

It sounds like your installation media are bad,
    or the drive you are installing from. The install
    program can't find those files when it tries to
    install them. Are you installing from floppy disks?
    They are notorious for going bad at the most
    inconvenient time.

If you are installing from CD it could still happen,
    though not as often.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.