Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Advice: Domain Name Hosting

Hi mom!

Question Need Advice: Domain Name Hosting

Could someone tell me what I need to keep in mind when registering a domain name? Also, where do you have your domain names registered, and why there?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I used alterhosting to host my site and they register domain names. They are very good in the customer service area and have great deals. Check them out at www.alterhosting.com Goodluck
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

I registered my .com with one of those online thingies..
    www.register.com
    they could easily be managed, and I directly switched off their DNS function.. since we have our own 2 DNS's... that way I'm in full controll..

and they even sent me an email afterwards..

Delete dns3.register.com.
    Delete dns4.register.com.
    Add ns.worldcity.nl
    Add ns2.worldcity.nl
    My .nl domains are with my friendly local ISP www.worldcity.nl for whom I work freelance..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

When registering a domain name, you should remember how easy it is to remember, and where the user would end up if they misspelled it. For example, if for some reason your company was called pron, it isn't such a good idea to use pron.com, since it can be easily misspelled for something else. Also some computers/networks might have filters that block out specific combinations of letters. Hrms..what else...oh and dont make it too long or too hard to remember. Try to keep it simple, and in a top level domain (novice users might not recognize .nl or .tk or something like that).

Personally I use www.icdsoft.com for domain hosting AND registering.
    They are very cheap! 5 bucks a month! and they give you 333mb of space and everything else you need. (mySQL php etc). And the register your domain name for just another 5 bucks. And they have the best support i must say. Damn i sound like a sales person now.

Hope that helped.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

A few more advice:
    Choose a domain name (.com, .net, .no) that reflects your site. If your content is aimed at the whole world, use one of the most common, such as .net, .com, .org. If your content is aimed at a specific country, use that country's domain. For me that would be .no. The reason is that most users choose their country's domain if they want local content. An example: If I want information about Compaq in Norwegian, I'd type www.compaq.no into the browser's URL-field. This means you should never put a site on a .com domain if it's not in English. That would only offend the international users. (Thank you Jacob Nielsen (http://www.useit.com))
    ---
    proactive

Try www.powweb.com. This site has a good price and great features.

They are very cheap! 5 bucks a month! and they give you 333mb of space and everything else you need. (mySQL php etc). And the register your domain name for just another 5 bucks.
    That has to be the best deal I have ever heard of. Beats my alterhosting. I think I will have to look them up. If they ask who sent me, I will say you

Good sell....
    Civilization. The death of dreams.

Hi mom!
    Actually, I'm more interested in Domain name registration than I am in hosting, I got a small webserver running myself ...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Then go for www.register.com

They have a realy easy to use and configure.
    You can use their DNS, your own DNS of choice or a combination..
    It is setup in an hour.. And activated within 24 hours..

Only one but.. You have to have a creditcard.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Old Fart
    If you are running your own servers then register is ok, but if you are hosting with someone else, register can be difficult to deal with in cases where you are changing hosting services. Having worked for M$'s webhosting service for 2 years, I know this first-hand. I'm a bit surprized that nobody mentioned Network Solutions (Verisign), www.netsol.com , on this one. They may not be the cheapest, but they give excellent service.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...