Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ~*~*A Hackers Image*~*~

Banned
    I totally agree with you... I just dont understand how a person can give themselves titles.... 90% of people are interested in computers but only 2% know how to use them, properly and can be considered 'hackers', those people either worked or do work in a job having to do with IT... Do you?

Alex, in that last post, I am completely in agreement with you. Yes, I have worked in a job with IT. I have also been a network admin. But, in that last post, you were completely right. You are right esp. with the 2% knowing how to use them. lol, Take care..

Back to the subject at hand. . . . . . Are any of you in ur early 20's. . . have brightly colored hair. . . . . high on caffeine. . . or any other substance. And have long frizzy hair? lol. If thats their idea of a hacker. . . whats their idea of a cracker? Somone on Skid row?
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Lol, What I'm puzzled at is how this thread came back after commiting suicide. I mean, if you commit suicide, your not coming back. But hey, welcome to AntiOnline, where anything can happen . Anyways, s'kiddie's are everyday kid's IMHO because they just use other people's software and call it hacking so in that term's, they wouldn't generally be that "addicted" so to speak to computers. Also, they probably aren't anyways due to the fact that they'd rather take the cheap and lame way out and use other people's programs.

Banned
    The following is an old article but it still makes sense today.....

USA: EDITORIAL - HACKER VS. CRACKER.
    By Bob Woods

December 30 1996

Our readers have their hackles up when hacker is mentioned in our stories. Hackers, they argue, are good people who just want to learn everything about a computer system, while crackers are the ones who are breaking into computer systems illegally.

The problem arises when the public and people who shape society get a hold of terms like "hacker" - a word once viewed as non-threatening turns into one that conjures up visions of altered World Wide Web pages and crashed computer systems.

"Que's Computer and Internet Dictionary, 6th Edition," by Dr. Bryan Pfaffenberger with David Wall, defines a hacker as "A computer enthusiast who enjoys learning everything about a computer system and, through clever programming, pushing the system to its highest possible level of performance." But during the 1980s, "the press redefined the term to include hobbyists who break into secured computer systems," Pfaffenberger wrote.

At one time hackers - the "good" kind - abided by the "hacker ethic," which said "all technical information should, in principle, be freely available to all.

Therefore gaining entry to a system to explore data and increase knowledge is never unethical," according to the Que dictionary.

These ethics applied to the first-generation hacker community, which Que said existed from roughly 1965 to 1982. While some of those people do still exist, many other people who describe themselves as "hackers" are a part of the current generation of people who destroy, alter, or move data in such a way that could cause injury or expense" - actions that are against the hacker ethic, Que's dictionary said. Many of those actions are also against the law.

Today's hacker generation - the ones bent on destruction - are more accurately called "crackers." Que defines such a person as "A computer hobbyist who gets kicks from gaining unauthorized access to computer systems. Cracking is a silly, egotistical game in which the object is to defeat even the most secure computer systems. Although many crackers do little more than leave a "calling card" to prove their victory, some attempt to steal credit card information or destroy data. Whether or not they commit a crime, all crackers injure legitimate computer users by consuming the time of system administrators and making computer resources more difficult to access."

Here's the rub: whenever the media, including Newsbytes, uses the term "hacker," we are hit with complaints about the term's usage. E-mails to us usually say "I'm a hacker, yet I don't destroy anything." In other words, the people who write us and other media outlets are a part of the first generation of hackers. But the media reflects society as much as, if not more than, they change or alter it. Today's culture thinks of hackers as people who destroy or damage computer systems, or ones who "hack into" computers to obtain information normal people cannot access. While it's probably the media's fault it started the trend, there's no going back now - hackers are now the same people as crackers. Besides, if a person outside of the computer biz called someone a cracker, images of Saltines or a crazy person or an investigator in a popular British television series would probably come to mind. For most people on the street, the last thing they would think of is a person they know as a hacker. So, what's to be done about the situation? Not a whole heck of a lot, unfortunately. The damage is done. If more people in the "general public" and the "mainstream media" read this news service and saw this article, some headway might be made. But even if they did, cultural attitudes and thoughts are very difficult to change. For those people in the US - remember New Coke? Or the metric system? If you're outside the US, can you imagine calling football "soccer"?

And to the first generation of hackers - those of us "in the know" in this industry do know about you. When we report on hackers nowadays, we're not talking about you, and we do not mean to insult you. Honest. Newsbytes News Network, Copyright 1996.

COMPUTING/I.T.
    NEWSBYTES NEWS NETWORK 23/12/96

Think about that...

Wow.. that is an interesting article. Hey, and to think the media probably never saw it like that anyways and here comes one media editorial that actually understand's it. Sadly, not the whole world see's it like that though.

very true. Actually. . . . I'de say at least 90% of people dont know what a true hacker is. All they know about are the "Crackers"
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

Banned
    They associate hackers with people who break into Gibsons and sabotage files

Exactly. They try to make Hackers sound like crackers and script kiddies. Calling a kid who DoS'ed a site a Hacker is what the media has done multiple times. I don't call that hacking, does anyone call it hacking?

no person with a tiny bit of knowlege of any kind about the subject, would call anyone who DOS's a site a hacker.

I'd prefer LAMER for those kind a ppl...
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !