Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unix tut basic commands file permmisions

unix tut basic commands file permmisions

hello pll i just spent about 2 hours writing this tutorial on basic unix commands and filepermmisions
    i hope some 1 can learn some thing from it plz leave feed back as whether i should carry on with next chapters if u are intersted in it i will go in to some depth on what i know of the UNIX OS i hope u enjoy
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Is it just me or is this file a mess.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

It's a mess. Prodikal.... I'd be happy to give you some feedback if I could read it.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I am looking to expand my knowledge of UNIX, but... do you have a viewer
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Yeah, its messed up. Is it supposed to be viewed through a browser?? Because the first line looks like an XML document is starting. I dunno, I opened it up in wordpad, no difference, put it in my browser, and it seemed like I got the tutorial but then every line had a strikethrough, so I copied that into wordpad, and saved it, but I didn't know if people not using windows could read .rtf, so I put it back into html. Then I had to find somewhere to host it, and I got kinda lazy, so I put it into .pdf format, (I zipped it but ran into some problems) so I got one of those simple PDF creators. Enjoy.

hey you guys thanks for the feed back its my first tut writing in linux i wrote it in abi word any suggestions thanks for beeing honest thats what i was after any suggestions is highly welcome

EDIT:i read through the file linuxelite provided TY for that and i noticed a few mistakes so should i star again and write it in acrobat reader i will add more to it to if any 1 is interested
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out

Please go on prodikal, this and the remainders of this is why I am here, good tut.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

well aeallison im currently writing another the now im going to take my time with this 1 though so it isnt as sloppy as the last im glad u liked it i will continue to write as long as ppl like u appreciate it thanks again to all of you who left me feedback

Clean it up.

I will have to agree with the others about it being a mess.
    It is almost impossible to view as a .txt file.
    I saved it to disk,renamed it to a .htm file and opened it with my browser. I was able to view it that way although every sentence had a line thru it(Like it was censored by the DoD). I was still able to read it. I can therefore offer an important suggestion.A tutorial about file permissions should never omit the "umask" command. That is the command that sets default file permisssions by the user. Improper use of this command can jump up and bite you right on the ass.It seems to be the most obscure command in most unix tuts I see posted. It often gets left out of an otherwise excellent tutorial. Clean that file up some and repost it as a html document. You will get a better response.

Tried opening it in OpenOffice but it doesn't work. The Abiword format can only be opened in AbiWord, something like 1 out of 100.000 users got Abiword. I guess the tutorial isn't gonna be read by many here...

But I would like to read it, so if anyone would be so kind and convert it; thanks!
    ---
    proactive