Thread: Extern PCI boxes?

Extern PCI boxes?

Hello everyone on AO! This is my first post on AO but i have been here for a while and just been reading (for about half a year or so ).

The question i got is if there exists anything like external PCI boxes? I need it for my PC that is completly full of cards and if there exists any it would also be nice to have an external GPU for my laptop.

The Iceman Cometh
    As far as I know, you're not going to be able to find anything. What sort of PCI cards do you need? Many external alternatives are available for things such as NICs, modems, sound cards, etc.

Also, why do you have so many cards? A fully loaded workstation should only require 4 or 5 (at absolute most) cards for whatever it needs to do...

AJ

i agree wtih avdven, i've never heard of anything like what you're talking about. you could try to go with external devices, or just upgrade your motherboard to one with more slots.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Don't forget that with the miracles of USB you can add stuff to a laptop without using a PC card slot. (Personally I think they need a better name/acronym.)

For instance, you can get a USB ethernet adapter for a laptop, plugs into the USB port, and the device itself is like a thick dongle. The places where I think you'd be out of luck would be graphics devices. I don't think you can easily get a graphics upgrade to a laptop. If you've bought it from a big vendor, perhaps they might be able to help you with upgrade/trade-in options?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

[QUOTE]Also, why do you have so many cards? A fully loaded workstation should only require 4 or 5 (at absolute most) cards for whatever it needs to do... [QUOTE]

Hehe...thats a good question...i got one GPU card, 2 NICs (i´m using my PC as a gateway for my laptop), a sound card (a big one blocking another port) and an USB card. And the card i want to add is a TV card that i got cheap from a friend.

BTW, thanx for the link.

So, wait, which computer are you concerned with here? If it's your laptop, getting a new graphics system is (as fas as I know) probably not possible. If it's your PC, then I would suggest either consolidating cards (like replacing a USB 2.0 adapter card and a Firewire card with a PCI card which does both) or by taking out one of those NIC cards and getting a cheap 5-port hub or switch.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency