Thread: CCNA Cert Value

Question CCNA Cert Value

Hi all. I am pretty new to the Security scene, and to AO, of course. I would like to know how valued you guys feel the CCNA is to this industry. I will be taking the exam in a couple weeks, and I would appreciate pointers from anyone that has taken the exam. The latest exam for this is 640-607 apparently, and it now includes router simulations for you to enter commands, so I hear. Any suggestions are appreciated.

i'm new too, however i think the ccna certification might get you a networking job that pays not bad. though in my opinion, ccna is just a stepping stone toward a ccnp, or a ccie.
    Benzene... simply C6H6
    Don\'t breathe it in!

A CCNA cert is an excellent place to begin the certification path.

CCNA

The only reason I took the class was because it was recommended to me by the Director of Security when I was looking to get into the department. I just wanted to know how much of a part it plays in the Security industry. I feel like it helped me to understand the inner workings of a switched network much better than I did. I thought it was pretty cool. I was just wondering how actively I should pursue this Cert - depending on the value it brings to the security industry.

CCNA is a good stepping stone and definitely something good to have on a resume for persuing a networking job (and doesn't hurt for security); however, it is only a stepping stone and maybe not the end point...Consider getting a CCNP, CCIE, those are very well respected certs, but they are mainly geared towards network and cisco stuff...

On the security front, consider getting something like a SANS GIAC certification or one of the Checkpoint security certifications...

Check out :
    http://www.antionline.com/certifications.php?s=

Neb
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

t2k2 - i have taken and passed both the CCNA and CCNP, and with both tests you wont find any security questions within these tests (besides the very basic access-list questions). Cisco broke down their certifications a little while back and have added a few security certifications. I do recommend you should take the CCNA before taking any of these tests. Also keep in mind, that the tests are designed for Cisco Systems Security equipment, and not just for security in general. Here are the tests that they have available for security tests.
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/10/...ity/index.html
    Os1LaYr5