Thread: Instant Messaging 101

Question Instant Messaging 101

Hi. I'm a newbie and a little bit overwhelmed about all I thought I knew - but now realise that I have absolutely no idea about!!

Even at my low point of the learning curve, I know that instant messaging is vulnerable to exploits and has major security issues. The thing is, how do I go about highlighting these problems - that is, providing 'working examples' - without compromising my own (Windows) system?

So far I've just been experimenting with user stupidity and common sense (yes, that's a viable problem); finding the IP address; port scanning; packet sniffing; password cracking, and virus protection.

Currently the programmes I am testing are :

* Trillian (with ICQ, Yahoo!, AIM and MSN accounts)
    * Jabber / Business IM
    * ePOP
    * SCIM
    * CryptTalk

Any help, advice or direction would be very much appreciated.
    \"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity\" - Albert Einstein

Banned
    Everything is vulnerable, get a compiler..... Thats all im saying.... I dont understand what you are saying so I wont go into detail =)

hes asking how to exploit IM's. he wants to Fµ¢K with people
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm not wanting to mess with anyone ... I have a uni assignment based on IM and security! As I personally don't use IM, it has been a steep learning experience for me - in a limited time frame.

I was merely trying to get a handle on some of the (less obvious) aspects I may have missed. Oh well, it was worth a try.
    \"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity\" - Albert Einstein