Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-System disk or disk error

Non-System disk or disk error

Hey Everyone,

Ok heres the deal.

I have an old laptop, its an IBM Thinkpad 380D.

I had just formatted. And I thought all was going well.

Right when I start up the laptop, it gives me the message --

--> Non-System disk or disk error
    Replace and press any key when ready

I have tried putting a boot disk in for the system and rebooted.

But yet again, even before reading the floppy or cd-rom, it gives me the same error.

I am really trying to get this thing running.

So anything anyone could tell me on how to solve this problem would help me greatly.

Thanks,
    DIGITALshimmerz
    http://mars.walagata.com/w/azgard/sanzo88.gifThe sharper the edge, the cleaner the wound. So, I\'ll be keeping it dull tonight for I deserve to hurt

Developer Extraordinar
    Are you sure there's nothing in the CD-ROM or Floppy Drive? Also check the setting in the BOIS, there could be another boot option selected, I donno. Try formatting agian. Did you do anything to the BIOS?

MB

Originally posted here by MicroBurn
    Are you sure there's nothing in the CD-ROM or Floppy Drive? Also check the setting in the BOIS, there could be another boot option selected, I donno. Try formatting agian. Did you do anything to the BIOS?

MB
    When the computer starts up, right after it gives you the initial screen
    that says "IBM Thinkpad" in a bunch of colors.

The error comes up immediatly. It doesnt even give the computer specs.

If there is a way to get right into BIOS, I need to know the key.

Thanks,
    DIGITALshimmerz
    http://mars.walagata.com/w/azgard/sanzo88.gifThe sharper the edge, the cleaner the wound. So, I\'ll be keeping it dull tonight for I deserve to hurt

Developer Extraordinar
    Hm, I donno the BIOS Key, mines Del, but my dad's was like F2 I think on his Laptop, I donno Try DEL and tell me if it works.

It could be the hard disk. To confirm this, you could make sure that it is not making it to attempt a boot from the floppy or CD ROM by disabling them in the boot order or something to that effect. Of course, you first have to find out how to get into the BIOS. Did you already try IBM's site or try a google maybe? I hope this helps a bit.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I have an oponion may be I am right or not, but may be the HDD's sector 0 is a bad sector and contains bad cluster ( if cluster 0 of a hard disk is damaged, the HDD is useless ). I hope I am wrong.
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

Originally posted here by Unl3Ashed
    I have an oponion may be I am right or not, but may be the HDD's sector 0 is a bad sector and contains bad cluster ( if cluster 0 of a hard disk is damaged, the HDD is useless ). I hope I am wrong.
    Even if sector 0 was bad he should still be able to boot from a floppy.

Try f8 when booting. You have to time it just right. If you press it after the bootstrap loads then it's too late and the system will continue booting.You must have the boot order set to prevent a floppy boot.

On the ThinkPad T20 (wich I currently use) the key to select boot device is F12
    it says in the bottom of the IBM ThinkPad logo..

I dunno about yours though.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

ok: to enter bios either f1, f2, del, esc
    - look for the boot order (first a (if this is your floppy) then hard disk)
    - if you say you can't boot with a floppy the floppy could be damaged (i know to some this might sounds foolish but it happened to me...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Knowledge is the Real Power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

Sounds like everyone is on the right track...

If you can enter your BIOS, using whatever key it is (F1-12, Esc, Del, Space Bar(yep, they did that) ). Otherwise, you may want to try to open up the case and set the BIOS jumper to the override position (there are usually only 2 different postions for the jumper) and try to fix things from there. (On startup you will be taken directly to the BIOS control) But it is possible that the CMOS battery is dead, in which case you may be screwed, unless you are able to replace it with no ill effects to the CMOS.
    Good luck, and as an afterthought, open up the case and make sure that all of the connections are tight.

Ouroboros
    "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"

"entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity."

-Occam's Razor