Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good manners..hard to find???

Good manners..hard to find???

Hi people,
    This is one of the things you do not find very often these days I must say.If you want me to be angry instantly,someone must enter a room,or pass you by and not say hello,good morning,hi or anything along those lines.I think basic manners and good behaviour of people,shows that you can communicate well,and you will be accepted better by the whole community at large.The way you present yourself to others I think is a direct reflection of what is going on inside of you.The secret of good manners is to treat people with dignity.Do not treat other people in the way you don’t want to be treated.

This includes respect,friendlyness,consideration,politeness and care for each other.Being self centered is very often a way of saying that you don’t need other people,you don’t need to be accepted and most of the time they don’t have respect for themselves.
    A lot of people think the world owe’s them something,and therefore don’t see any reason to ccontribute anything positive to this world.

Someone once said”It is never too late to be what you might have been.”-George Elliot.

How do you guys feel about this aspect of life?

Regards
    V/man
    Practise what you preach.

I think you're right on.There's a lot of very rude people out there.Being from the St. Louis area originally,I'm used to people just passing by without saying anything,because you can pass a thousand people just walking down the street,but it does bother me when I say something to somebody and they give me the holier than thou treatment.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I definately agree with the treat others as you want to be treated theory. If you have good manners, show respect, and treat others fairly, most likely you will be treated similarily.

There will always be those that are the exception to this but at least you can say you had the confidence to be the "better" man, or woman whichever is the case.

Independance is not saying you don't need other people, it is just saying that you have the ability to do many things on your own and that the accomplishments you have in life are ones you have chosen and worked toward. Those that treat others with disrespect often have no accomplishments and are the furthest from independant as one can get.

Guys I am not saying that everybody that you pass by should greet you.The point I am trying to make here is that it is most often people you know well, either in the workplace or your neighbourhood or sometimes even your kids friends and their parents.Let me give you a simple example:For instance when I go to my son's rugby match,and it is strait after work, I go in my working clothes because their is simply not enough time to get changed and see the game.Then they hardly want to know you.

It just amazes me that a change in clothing could make the difference between being greeted and ignored?

That is my opinion anyway.Good manners can only make you a better person

regards
    v/man

Banned
    Hye all!

Well I understand the whole snobby thing now that Im getting older. I come from a place in Dublin that would be considered working class, i.e. I aint got a lot of money. Now I worked my ass off to get to college, and I'm the only person except a good friend to get a place in the [second! } best college in Ireland. I get there and the second I open my mouth and they here my accent wow!

They just shunned me! Thats the posh people now, the other more open minded, not rich kids are great, they dont care what way you talk. They are from the country or abroad and are a thousend times more open minded than the so called rich, smart kids.

Anyway just a rant.

I am quiet and often find it hard to say hi to just any ol person, talks a little getting knowing before you say Good Morning with me, its not because I dislike you, it's because I dont know you....

Anyway, the world will never change, lol!

I guess I'm lucky, in a way. I live in a village of about 100 people. Everybody waves, nods, or greets each other in some manner all the time. Even walking down the street, people you pass who are in their yards will say hello. I don't think manners and courtesy are dead yet; I think city people are just in too much of a rush to bother. Here, life is slow paced, nobody is in a hurry, and they'll take the time to acknowledge each other.

i work in a building where everyone ignoes everybody. i greet everone i see, even when they didn't greet me back, I ignore all the pettynesses that happen and don't get involved in them. as time passed every one now greets me. i can have a conversation anytime with any body....most still don't talk to each other but my condition is better :-)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Old Fart
    Heh....I live in an area where perfect strangers will strike up a conversation with you...people you pass while driving wave even though they don't have a clue as to who you are. Nice isn't dead, it just moved out to the country!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

It all starts with you IMHO... I say hello to as many people as I can and do it with a smile... Like many who have posted I am from the country and find myself in the "big city" living and working... I don't feel my day is complete unless I have put a smile on a complete strangers face... But then again that was the way I was brought up...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Allen, don't you think it is time nice moved back and make a few ppl smile.You know it makes my day if i can put a smile on somebody's face.Let's offer him/her a free furniture removal ha...ha..Just joking allen.

A smile a day keeps harm at bay.

regards
    v/man