Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reboot Problem

Reboot Problem

Hello to all. Gotta strange problem with a machine of mine. It just reboots on its own. It will be in the middle of doing a backup, or copying a file, or nothing spectacular when it decides to reboot. I have never encountered a problem like this. The os is Windows 2000 professional and Windows 2000 server in which ive encountered these problems. Is this a known windows bug or something else????

Much Abliged

-SOIA
    Alright take it ease

Do you perchance have the machine overclocked or otherwise heavily tweaked? I've run into some spontaneous reboot problems with Windows when the RAM was tweaked too high. Try turning down some of the RAM settings in CMOS and see if that helps.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

The Iceman Cometh
    Another reason could be a more serious system problem, just as a corrupt sector on your harddisk or an invalid registry entry. If it often occurs during transfers, you may want to run chkdsk /r to see if there's a problem. Generally, if Windows 2000 or XP reboots, it means that the OS ran into a system problem which it could not recover from, and rather than let you screw up the system even more, it automatically reboots for you, trying to restore wherever it was at. The option to enable/disable that can be found in your System Control Panel applet. Anyway, try running a chkdsk /r. Also, check your Event Viewer to find out what caused the crash. It should give you the information you need. You may simply have to reinstall a program or an update or something to fix the problem...

AJ

Hmm, not sure if you've done it or not, but you might also want to try runing an up-to-date antivirus scan on it. Considering it runs w2k i figure its a fairly new machine, so it wouldnt/shouldnt be a wiring problem. Also, just another though, run ad-aware to see if it could be some kind of spy-ware causing the problem.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Re: Reboot Problem

Originally posted here by soia
    Hello to all. Gotta strange problem with a machine of mine. It just reboots on its own. It will be in the middle of doing a backup, or copying a file, or nothing spectacular when it decides to reboot. I have never encountered a problem like this. The os is Windows 2000 professional and Windows 2000 server in which ive encountered these problems. Is this a known windows bug or something else????

Much Abliged

-SOIA
    Is the box exhibiting any other strange behavior? You might want to check for a trojan.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I think ..problem child and avdven they right... run that chkdsk .generally will work..

upsss ..forgot....check for trojan..look like someone already get in your comp..hopelly not
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Is the cpu running hot maybe? That'll do it sometimes
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

I had the exact same problem when I was running WIN 2000... Turns out it was about half dozen bad sectors on the HD... I got a new HD and no problems since.... I did pull the old one apart just for S&G's and one of the platers was worn quite a bit...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

How frequent it reboots. Did you tweak registry settings. When did the problem first appear. Check out the activtives you have performed in the last 10 days. I think you can find solution for yourself if you did the above step carefully.

Good luck.

Raghav

now when it reboots... does it just reset, as if someone hit the button or are we talking a bluescreen memory dump which WILL reboot itself when complete?
    just covering the bases.
    make sure you are up on the service packs, they do make a big difference in win2000.

other than taht, I agree with the others and Id start looking at hardware.
    memory has caused this for me in the past, but I usually get a error. Id get rebooted often and changed my memory and was ok. Hard disks too can cause this due to the swap file and the way NT machines page memory.
    look into those things and you should find the problem.
    oh and look in event veiwer... that tells many many tales.

good luck
    Avenger
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.