Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win2000 SP3 killed Windows Update

Win2000 SP3 killed Windows Update

Ok heres the deal. Installed Windows SP3 on about 10 machines.

8 of the machines had SP2 on them and are fine.

THe other 2 machiens only had SP1 on them. I updated them to SP3. Afterwards, Windows Update will scan for updates but when you try to view the updates the browser just times out.

I cleared the Internet Cache and Cookies and Deleted the Windows Update directory. I also tried uninstalling SP3. NOthing worked....

Anyone else run across this?
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Louie --

When I was working with comps with SP2 on it, everything worked fine. SP3 screwed things up. The Sys Admin that I was working for said the same thing. He agreed that SP3 made things worse. He said there have been random glitches and crap, as well as a noticeable performance-decrease.

Hope this helps,
    ura
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

My PC was at no service pack when I installed sp3, it worked fine for me, I think the best way of installing service packs is to do it straight after you get your computer or reformat it.

Umm, quick question, but why does it say uraloony was banned?! Sorry, but my advice is to reformat, it could have been a problem when installing. But, how/why was ura banned?

Uraloony was banned today because of misconduct in IRC.

Reformatting is not really an option right now. This is a production environment and I don't have enough time to do this currently.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Louie can't you uninstall the SP? or perhaps it's a hotfix that's screwing things up?

btw is uraloony permanently banned?

check the date on your machine, make sure its current, if its not then the updates wont work. i had that problem after installing SP3
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

I have recently reformated and reinstalled, including updates (SP3 as well),and everything semms ok

The Iceman Cometh
    I believe SarinMage may be on the right track. Check the date for the machines which don't work with WindowsUpdate. The reason is, Microsoft is planning on moving to v5 of WindowsUpdate (at which point, the unsupported OSes will no longer have access to the site). The problem, is, if your date happens to be past the date where the change will occur, WindowsUpdate will not function properly for version 5 has not been completed yet.

AJ