Thread: Downloads will not complete

Downloads will not complete

Started a new job for a company and they have this problem....

Everytime they download something off the internet, the download gets hung up at a certain percentage. Once in a blue moon it will finish a file but most of the times not.

We have a comcast cable connection. It is shared by about 5 computers. We also have a server for file and print sharing but I do not think the server has anything to do with the problem.

i.e. I'll go to download a 2meg file and it will rip through half the file at about 50 kb/sec then all of a sudden it will just sit there and the download percentage will not increase. It looks like it is still downloading, but it recieves no data.

Driving me crazy... Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Okay.. you said its running on cable.... try connecting a fresh install PC directly to a PC (this is to get rid of anything which could be interfering with the process).. just using whatever is recommended with your ISP... if the problem still occurs, it suggests either a faulty ISP end-point (ie, your cable modem) or a problem with your ISP......

If the problem doesn't occur when directly connected to the cable connection, it suggests a problem with the gateway (ie, the PC sharing your internet) or the equipment its travelling over (ie, hubs/switch)....
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

All Computers

If this were happening on one computer then there is a good chance you had a NIC problem or something else. But all computers? This points to a general problem so trouble shoot where everything goes through.

Since the download is starting and I am assuming you are getting a good internet connection and are able to browse then you know that it is not a physical connection issue. This means it is either a setting on your firewall and gateway, or with your ISP. If this happens with small files as well as large then it points to an FTP configuration problem. If it is only on large files You need to find if your ISP has a maximum limit on downloads or download per time or burst traffic. You might also be on a limited bandwidth policy which gets violated when the burst download starts and the connection is then limited for a time which, if badly configured, could lead to a time out in the handshakes.

Basically all of this points to one of two places. Your gateway server and router or their gateway server and router. If you have a gateway server and router then the test mentioned by Matty would test you local connection and hardware. With a router if you can set up two subnets then you could place one computer on each subnet and copy between them. This would test your router and gateway server. If you pass these (or if you do not have them and rely on the ISP) then you need to call their tech support and work through the problem with them. They are going to lead you through a lot of different set up questions and there may even be a local setting out of line. However, the problem really does seem to point mainly to a server/router.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

Old Fart
    I'll bet on the firewall....sounds like you've got a setting that blocks executables turned on. Just as a VERY short term experiment, disable the firewall long enough to do ONE download...if it completes, turn the firewall back on and dig into its configuration. This sounds suspiciously like a situation I had with Tiny Personal Firewall once upon a time....
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Check out your firewall....my workmate have some problem some as you(similar..) and what she done is disable that firewall..and she tested that download process ..and it's works.
    So she have to set up new rules of her firewall...and back on the track
    Hope this helps..

Cheers
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Old Fart
    HELLOOOOOO .........

helloooooo ........ helloooooo .........

Is there an echo in this thread????
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...