Thread: Brain\Body Manipulation

Brain\Body Manipulation

I'll express it right off that this is entirely theoretical, and has not went through any scientific experimentation whatsoever, (that I know of). It is the product of my day to day thoughts and ideas put into written form. This was my thought for today, and I just want to see how others feel on the matter. It's completely my opinion, so I have no references, and don't wish to have any as of yet. If you can refute it, please do, so I don't waste more time trying to decide if it's plausible or not. Onward to the theory...

Brain\Body Responsive Functions

The brain controls the body. It distributes this control through responses from several different sources.

Source A. Conscious
    Source B. Subconscious
    Source C. External

The conscious is the primary source for the brains interpretive information. The majority of our movements...picking something up, looking around a room, eating, etc., are performed through this medium.

The subconscious and external are similar, in that they are both reactionary responses, yet different in the sense of what they are reacting to. The subconscious is a reaction to something created internally, but either artificially reproduced, or as a memory to a previous Conscious or external response. This particular medium is most common in dreams. An example would be the quickening of the heart beat as a person dreams of falling from a cliff. Another example would be the sweat produced during these dreams, ("I awoke in a cold sweat"). Outside of dreams, this could be the bodies response to a consciously made fantasy. An example would be sexual, as in the physical arousal of a man fantasizing about a woman, or vice versa. In this case the fantasy is conscious, but the physical aspect deals with the subconscious.

External mediums would be the body's responses to the outside environment. An example of this would be the blinking of the eyelids when a particle enters the eye area, or a person ducking from a flying object. These are not usually conscious, as the person did not think the action through before commiting to it.

All three of these mediums seem to have the ability to coincide. In other words, an action may be produced from more then one medium, and in most cases is.

Personally, the most fascinating possibility this offers to the individual is the ability to manipulate the body and mind into performing actions it normally would not execute. By intentionally manipulating one or more mediums, a person may be able to produce outcomes from situations that are more beneficial, and more impacting then the common responses of the body. an example of this would be the possibility of controlling the electrical patterns of the brain enough to control useability in individual muscles. This would allow energy to be allocated in a way to make a particular muscle either stronger then normal, or weaker, depending upon the circumstances.

We can already see this phenomena within certain contexts, although the external seems to be the easiest. Take, for instance, the popular sub medium of music. Through certain rhythmic patterns it is actually possible to increase or decrease the heart rate, effectively manipulating the entire muscular system through it's most prominent organ. Rhythm also seems to be able to affect the mind, as it has the ability to alter moods and change emotional responses to situations and events.

Because of these patterns and consistencies, I believe it is possible to create through internal and psychological measures singular human acts far surpassing that which we currently see. I'm not pertaining to superman, with the ability to shoot laser beams out of our eyes, but more of a computer-like control over our own bodies. This isn't to say we would become robotic, but that we would be able to regulate our own bodies in ways never before possible, and through this regulation be able to function in a much more efficient manner then we're presently capable of.
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

but that we would be able to regulate our own bodies in ways never before possible, and through this regulation be able to function in a much more efficient manner then we're presently capable of.
    ...Isn't that what steriods are used for? Take them and your stronger, faster,...physically better than the inept guy standing next to you.
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

nietzsche thought the complexity of the human mind was nothing compared to the complexity of the human body.
    Maybe we are more controlled by our body than we guess, maybe we are only the servants of our egoist stomach (for example).

It could explain a lot of think. I will try to invite my neighbours in a dinner in order to control them
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Mind and body are one. Without one, you don't have the other. I would think it would be a better view to see them as equal. Kind of like how a processor is useless without memory and some sort of storage device.

About steroids...this was based upon manipulation of the body through means of the brain. Steroids do not directly impact the brain so as to make the body larger, but they impact the body in full. Even if it were so, then steroids we only be another medium. A specialized means within a broader, much more generalized scope.
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

Banned
    You've just attempted to chop psychology into three "sources", failing to see that each of them represent just a small percentage in correlation to your idea of
    "brain/body manipulation". Sounds to me like buddhism. What ever happened to the psychoanalytical perspective of the conciousness? Or neuroscience and how the brain creates emotions and sensory experiences? Do you absolutely believe that your body's behavior is a result of these 3 mediums you describe and that by changing the mediums you would therefore, change the behavior? A good theory must organize facts into a coherent structure. This one left out the subject. There's not only an environment to be controlled, but also a social influence of one's background, different reactions to one stimulus, a nervous system and a humanistic perspective of one's capacity and individualism.

The theory was based upon a different approach. It wasn't necessarily meant to be scientifical, which seems to be the only thing you're concerned about in this post, but more philosophical. It doesn't pertain to the structure of the brain, or how different areas of the brain produce different functions. It was based upon something more specified. This is why it's broken down into three distinct categories. I'm not saying these are the only feasible categories, but the most proper when dealing with the theory. Both the idea of manipulation and the three areas of manipulation were theoretical, so to say that my word has no merit because I wasn't scientific about it is rather absurd to me. Take it within it's context. This is dealing with action\reaction, not "what does the cerebral cortex do?". You need to take this within it's context to understand it, and also to retort it.

As to your point of a "good theory". What you see as theories are ideas that have been developed for extensive periods of time before being released to the general public. This was released immediately after I entered my mind with the intent of allowing others to retort it, so as to be able to organize it. In other words, don't tell me it's an illegitimte theory, still in it's infancy and having no real merrit yet. I know that. I'm not trying to make you accept it, I'm trying to get you to discuss it within it's own realm. Not take it and make it something it's not.