Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lured Russian hacker gets 3 years prison

Hi mom!

Lured Russian hacker gets 3 years prison

This story caught my eye because JP did an editorial on it when the arrest was made.

Two Russian hackers were lured to the United States by the FBI. They were offered a job at some firm. Once they were in the US, they were arrested.

Now, one of the two has been arrested. He got 3 years. The Moscow Times has the story.
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

It just goes to show that no matter how good you think you are eventually someone is going to be just a little bit better...

The FBI set up a bogus Seattle computer security company called Invita Security to snag the hackers, inviting them here to demonstrate their skills. They arrived on Nov. 10, 2000, and met with undercover FBI agents, ostensibly to discuss a partnership.

Gorshkov discussed their hacking prowess at that videotaped meeting and took responsibility for various hacking activities, the U.S. attorney said in a statement. Gorshkov shrugged off any concern about the FBI, saying the agency could not get them in Russia.
    It would stand to reason that if they committed the crimes that they are accused of then they would have known better than to come to the US for any reason...

They established thousands of anonymous e-mail accounts at sites such as Hotmail and Yahoo!, then created associated accounts at PayPal with random identities and stolen credit card information. Additional programs allowed them to control e-Bay auctions so they could act as both seller and winning bidder at the same auction, then effectively pay themselves with stolen credit cards, court papers said.

Banned
    Can you say FBI setup? lol, I can't believe they fell for it. Hackers are very smart people

Originally posted here by Internet Hacker
    Can you say FBI setup? lol, I can't believe they fell for it. Hackers are very smart people
    Apparently not all of them...

- Who like to show off a little to much ......busted

Hi mom!
    JP brought this in a title that read something like this: "Teenage Americans lured by Chinese gouvernment", followed by a story that basically asked the reader what would've happened if the hackers were Americans, and the agency some foreign agency. Gives you something to think about ...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I have one question here...It kinda bothers me....How come this hacker, allegedly malicious, (I say that cause I don't know whether he is guilty or not) only gets three years, but a 16 yr old kid got life for the same thing? (I believe that is what happened....im not sure though) Can someone clear the mud up for me?
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Yeah

This "hacker" Vasily Gorshkov actually used computers in the town in which I live to launch attacks on his various targets. Interesting that he was lured in like that.

Raven

just one think doesn't the judge think that the hacker after he get outa jail is jus gonna hack to get the $700,000 they told him to pay ? just thought i would share the thought b/c its kind of funny
    [pong][shadow]CaPtAiN[/shadow][/pong]

Some 'hackers' do get to arrogant..

there are numerous accounts of hackers that got just a little to cocky.. and show off..
    that's actualy the only way (good) hackers get cought..

irc logs etc..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !