Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new way to hide files

Old Fart

A new way to hide files

Now this is interesting....a program that allows you to hide a file WITHIN a file. Put an MP3 in a GIF image, a document inside of an MP3. It looks like a handy way to protect sensitive data, but it is also kind of frightening given the current state of the world. Could this lead to terroists downloading their instructions from Kazaa or WinMX?? Read about it here and lets hear what you folks think about this method of disguising data.

<EDIT> Hmmmm...sorry for the misnomer in the subject folks, this should be called a A new TOOL to hide files.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Nice post, Yea I've tested some progs like this some time ago.

HIP (Hide In Picture)

HIP (Hide In Picture) is a program that allows you to "hide" files inside bitmaps (.bmp files), and protecting it with a password. The pictures look like normal images, so no one will suspect there is hidden data in them. This technique is known as steganography. You can use a normal cryptography program to protect secret data from other people, but then, even if they aren't able to read it, they will be able to see you are hiding something. With HIP, you can hide your secret data inside an innocent family photograph or even your Windows background, and nobody will ever suspect it.
    JPHIDE and JPSEEK 0.5

JPHIDE and JPSEEK are programs which allow you to hide a file in a jpeg visual image. There are lots of versions of similar programs available on the internet but JPHIDE and JPSEEK are rather special. The design objective was not simply to hide a file but rather to do this in such a way that it is impossible to prove that the host file contains a hidden file. Given a typical visual image, a low insertion rate (under 5%) and the absence of the original file, it is not possible to conclude with any worthwhile certainty that the host file contains inserted data. As the insertion percentage increases the statistical nature of the jpeg coefficients differs from "normal" to the extent that it raises suspicion. Above 15% the effects begin to become visible to the naked eye. Of course some images are much better than others when used a host file - plenty of fine detail is good. A cloudless blue sky over a snow covered ski paradise is bad. A waterfall in a forest is probably ideal.
    Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

It looks quite impressive, and you're right in that its gonna have a lot of uses. SOme bad, some good. BUt that applies to everything. Sensitive data can be well hidden in this. I think I'm gonna d/l and give it a trial, see what its like.

I reckon this method of disguising data is effective. ITs gonna be good.

The use of all powerful tools is dependent of the people that are using it. It is not the weapon that kills but the finger on the trigger.

The biggest problem that I forsee with this is a whole new strain of virus, worms, trojans, and what not.......
    “People don’t talk about anything.” [Clarisse]
    “Oh, they must!” [Guy]
    “No, not anything. They name a lot of cars or clothes or swimming pools mostly and say how swell! But they all say the same things and nobody says anything different from anyone else. And most of the time in the cafes they have the joke-boxes on and the same jokes most of the time, or the musical wall lit and all the colored patterns running up and down, but it’s only color and all abstract. And at the museums, have you ever been? All abstract. That\'s all there is now...\"
    -A conversation with Clarrise McClellan and Guy Montag from Fahrenheit 451

Steganography has been around since the mid 90’s in simple command line programs it just has not been widely publicized. Lately some large software companies have used this technique in their programs for "securing" users data by utilizing unused bits of am image. There are ways of telling if an image has been modified but since the bits can be put in any order it is very difficult to tell what is embedded in the file.

It is most definitely scary to think what could be concealed in another file along with today’s forms of encryption and what they could be used for.

I remember a app called camouflage.. http://www.camouflage.freeserve.co.uk/

it not only hides files in files.. but also encrypts them for you..

realy usefull for mailing stuff through higly monitored (school, work etc) networks..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned

Smile

This is nothing new. They still have programs like this always have always will. Ever heard putting a key logger in a .jpg, .bmp.gif img? Simple yet effective.

You might get suspicious if a 60 by 60 pixel GIF was 40 megabytes though.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Banned
    You might get suspicious if a 60 by 60 pixel GIF was 40 megabytes though.
    Well of course you would but if the key logger is only 100kb thats still pretty small everyone from antionline would know whats up,but most internet users do not they just point click and download when they see something for free LOL.